[MARMAM] FW: VOLUNTEERS URGENTLY NEEDED FOR DOLPHINS RESEARCH IN AUSTRALIA

Daniele Cagnazzi daniele.cagnazzi at scu.edu.au
Sat Jun 7 13:28:08 PDT 2014

CAPRICORN CETACEANS RESEARHC PROJECT IS URGENTLY SEEKING FIELD ASSISTANTS FOR RESEARCH ON INSHORE DOLPHINS IN THE GREAT BARRIER REEF, AUSTRALIA FOR JULY-SEPTEMBER 2014

Daniele Cagnazzi (Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Marine Ecology Research Centre, SCU) is currently accepting applications for two volunteer positions, for the Capricorn Cetaceans Project for the Australian winter season from the July to the first week of September 2014.

The primary aim of this project is to study inshore dolphin species primarily the Indo-Pacific humpback dolphin and the Australian snubfin dolphin in the Southern Great Barrier Reef Queensland Australia. More information about the project can be found on the project website  http://www.capricorncetaceansproject.com/ and at the Marine Ecology Research centre website http://www.scu.edu.au/marine-ecology/index.php/33/

Field work include daily coastal surveys conducted on a 6m centre console vessel. During field work we will applied standard techniques normally applied in inshore dolphins studies. Additionally we will also collect skin samples using PAXARM biopsy system for an on-going genetic and toxicology analyses .

More detailed information on the project will be given directly during a Skype conversation and can be found on http://www.capricorncetaceansproject.com/volunteer.html.

While on land the team will share a house in Yeppoon a quite costal town in Central Queensland, however we will be travelling frequently to different locations along the coast such as, Airlie Beach, Proserpine and Gladstone. All accommodation and food costs are covered.

This position is mainly for people with some photo-identification experience (but is not a requirement), with a profound interest in cetaceans and a background in marine studies.

Applications are considered only for the entire period.

Interested applicants should forward their CV directly to me daniele.cagnazzi at scu.edu.au<mailto:daniele.cagnazzi at scu.edu.au> ASAP

Daniele Cagnazzi, PhD

Postdoctoral Research Fellow

Marine Ecology Research Centre

School of Environment, Science and Engineering

Southern Cross University

Lismore NSW 2480 Australia

Mobile 0428366838

Website: http://www.scu.edu.au/marine-ecology/index.php/33/