[MARMAM] New paper: Marine mammals trace anthropogenic structures at sea

Debbie Russell djf.russell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 09:59:18 PDT 2014

Dear all

We have a new paper (see below).
Best wishes
Debbie Russell

Russell, DJF , Brasseur, S , Thompson, D , Hastie, GD , Janik, VM ,
Aarts, G , McClintock, BT , Matthiopoulos, J & McConnell, BJ 2014, '
Marine mammals trace anthropogenic structures at sea ' Current Biology
, vol 24, no. 14, pp. 638.

DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cub.2014.06.033

Summary
On land, species from all trophic levels have adapted to fill vacant
niches in environments heavily modified by humans. In the marine
environment, ocean infrastructure has led to artificial reefs,
resulting in localized increases in fish and crustacean density.
Whether marine apex predators exhibit behavioural adaptations to
utilise such a scattered potential resource is unknown. Using high
resolution GPS data we show how infrastructure, including wind
turbines and pipelines, shapes the movements of individuals from two
seal species (Phoca vitulina and Halichoerus grypus). Using
state-space models, we infer that these animals are using structures
to forage. We highlight the ecological consequences of such behaviour,
at a time of unprecedented developments in marine infrastructure.
Dr Debbie Russell
Sea Mammal Research Unit (SMRU)
Centre for Research into Ecological and Environmental Modelling (CREEM)

Office:            +44 (0)1334 467281
Wednesdays: +44 (0)1334 461808

Postal address:
SMRU