[MARMAM] Resident Seal Rehabilitation Internship
sealrescueireland at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 07:40:23 PDT 2014
*Resident Seal Rehabilitation Internship*
We have several intern positions that have opened up at Seal Rescue Ireland
for immediate start.
We are looking for volunteer interns who are able to commit to a minimum of
3 - 4 months. *Preference will be given to applicants who can commit to 6
months or more.*
Seal Rescue Ireland is dedicated to the rescue, rehabilitation and release
of both Grey and Common (or Harbour) Seals, found in difficulty around
Ireland’s coast (often due to sickness, parasites, injury or orphaned). We
also take in occasional other Irish wildlife in need such as sea birds and
The resident interns will participate in hands-on animal care of seals in
rehabilitation; coordinating rescues and releases; keeping accurate
detailed records; maintaining animal facilities, including hospital units
and pools; maintaining and cleaning public facilities; and giving tours and
actively interacting with the public.
The work hours are long (9-12 hours) and physically demanding. The interns work
5 days a week, with two days off. Volunteers
are required to have an advanced level of English, in both speaking and
*** Responsibilities/duties will include (but are not limited to)***
The interns will report to the seal managers and will be trained in:
- Food preparation
- Safe animal handling and restraining
- Tube feeding, force feeding, hand feeding seals
- Natural history of harbour and grey seals
- Record keeping
- Administration of injections and oral medications
- Assisting in rescues and releases nationwide
- General cleaning duties of animal and public facilities
- Hygiene and quarantine protocols to prevent the spread of disease etc.
- Assisting veterinarians in surgical and medical cases when required
- Running the visitor’s centre, providing guided tours and engaging with
- Caring for other wildlife casualties when necessary
- *25 years* or older (required for driving rescue vehicle)
- Fluent English (comprehension and speaking)
- Have an avid interest in marine mammal care and rehabilitation.
- Preference will be given to applicants with previous experience in animal
- Experience in handling wildlife preferred
- Excellent organisational and communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- A commitment to wildlife, conservation and volunteer work
- Flexible and reliable working attitude
- Willingness to work long hours outdoors in Irish weather
- Experience in interacting with the public / public speaking
- Education experience
- Able to lift 20kg and be in good physical shape
- Be enthusiastic and eager to help and learn and show initiative
We are looking for dedicated, flexible, enthusiastic people, who are able
to work and live within a small team and who are self-motivated, show
initiative and able to work without constant supervision.
We provide accommodation and groceries, for which we request a
contribution of EUR €70 per week. Interns are accepted internationally and
are responsible for their own transportation to and from Ireland.
Collection from the airport and in country support is provided.
*To apply for this position:*
For further information and to receive an application form please contact
sealrescueireland at gmail.com
Or you can also download an application from our website (
http://www.sealrescueireland.org/volunteers/), and email the filled in form
to above email address.
Seal Rescue Ireland
Phone: +353 (0)87 195 5393
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM