[MARMAM] The Marine Mammal Center in Sausalito, CA is hiring a San Luis Obispo Operations Manager
GroningerH at TMMC.org
Thu Jul 17 11:48:13 PDT 2014
Announcing an employment opportunity at The Marine Mammal Center.
This listing can also be found on our website here: http://www.marinemammalcenter.org/about-us/organization-information/jobs/
[cid:image001.jpg at 01CFA1B4.FD6F0390]
San Luis Obispo Operations Manager
The Marine Mammal Center, an equal opportunity, non-profit employer, is seeking a San Luis Obispo Operations Manager to join our team. The Marine Mammal Center's mission is to expand knowledge about marine mammals-their health and that of their ocean environment-and to inspire their global conservation. Our core work is the rescue and rehabilitation of sick and injured marine mammals, supported by state-of-the-art animal care and research facilities, a corps of dedicated volunteers, and an engaged community.
About the Organization
The Marine Mammal Center is the largest facility of its kind in the world. Founded in 1975, The Center has grown into an internationally renowned and state-of-the art marine mammal hospital, research center and educational organization. Each year, The Center treats 600 - 800 sick, injured and orphaned marine mammals, with the goal of rehabilitation and release. Its professional staff collaborates with over 30 different scientific, educational, federal, state and non-profit organizations from around the world.
Marine mammal scientists and veterinarians from across the globe visit The Center and shadow its staff and volunteers to learn from the hundreds of animals treated each year, and from its acclaimed veterinary, scientific, and research staff. By collaborating with leading scientists and researchers to learn from the patients in their care, The Center expands and advances science to increase understanding of the health of the ocean and highlights implications for human health.
In addition to its work with the scientific community, The Center's formal and informal education programs reach 100,000 children and adults ever year. Ultimately, The Center's work inspires action and fosters stewardship toward the care of our environment.
Overlooking the ocean in the Marin Headlands, in Sausalito, CA, The Center operates three field stations in its 600-mile rescue range on the California coastline from San Luis Obispo through Mendocino County. Simultaneous to the construction of its new Kona, Hawaii facility, The Center's rescue range has increased to include the entire Hawaiian archipelago. With an annual operating budget of $6M, 50 staff and 1,100 actively engaged volunteers, The Center operates 24 hours per day, 365 days per year.
About the Opportunity
Reporting to the Director of Veterinary Science in Sausalito, CA, the San Luis Obispo (SLO) Operations Manager is a full-time, exempt position with competitive benefits. The SLO Manager functions as the primary administrator for the San Luis Obispo Operations (SLO) of The Marine Mammal Center, located in Morro Bay, CA. This role receives public reports of stranded animals and coordinates the appropriate response. It is also responsible for supervision and recruitment of volunteers, rotating on call and meeting attendance duties across the entire response range, and overseeing and implementing facilities, equipment and vehicle maintenance. The position also acts as a media representative and works in collaboration with other departments and organizations.
* Strong leadership skills in managing projects and personnel
* Ability to communicate effectively and with diverse audiences
* Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as a member of a multidisciplinary team
* Ability to cultivate effective relationships with internal partners, volunteers, consultants, and outside partners
* Ability to work effectively and strategically with remote supervision
* Awareness of safety procedures for handling wild animals and working in the field
* Implement policies and procedures at the direction of the Stranding Department Manager and Veterinary Staff. Provide guidance and actively participate in problem solving to reach results
* Respond to public questions and concerns about distressed animals, volunteer opportunities, and all other general inquiries
* Coordinate assessment and rescue teams, from pick-up to transport. Participate in rescues, transports, medical treatments, and releases as needed
* Maintain open lines of communication with the Stranding Manager, co-workers and volunteers
* Collect & process animal response data, including paper and electronic data entry
* Conduct regular staff and committee meetings, producing meeting minutes
* Administer the SLO facility and resources; including petty cash account, Home & Office Depot cards, utilities, and technology. In cooperation with appropriate departments, schedule regular maintenance of SLO computers, equipment, facilities, and vehicles
* Responsible for ensuring that SLO volunteers follow the Veterinary Science department's best practices. Ensures, with ample notice, that the SLO facility is adequately stocked with medical supplies. Communicates medical needs directly with the Veterinary Science staff. Oversees SLO medical and animal care teams
* Maintain SLO event and volunteer schedules. Coordinate the scheduling of Sausalito crew shifts for SLO volunteers
* Manage SLO supervisors and volunteers; overseeing recruitment, mentoring program, and training of new volunteers. Implement volunteer recognition efforts
* Provide direct support to volunteer management including collection of new volunteer liability waivers, data entry into Raisers Edge, creation of class RSVP lists and content management of the San Luis Obispo Operations volunteer only webpage
* Maintain clear communication with volunteer management regarding volunteer recruitment and resource needs
* Under the direction of the Education Department, manage SLO Education Committee and outreach program. Work collaboratively with designated education staff to ensure SLO volunteers receive regular training and support to facilitate programs aligned with the Education Department's best practices
* Participate in Education Department staff/planning meetings (typically bi-weekly)
* Oversee SLO stranding and veterinary training programs. Support education training initiatives
* Manage additional committees and volunteer activities that include but are not limited to apparel, fund-raising and produces SLO email newsletter
* Facilitate communication and coordination among Monterey Bay Operations (MBO), and Sausalito staff
* Travel to other internal and external facilities as needed
* Four year college degree and/or two years of related experience working with Marine Mammals, or equivalent combination of education and experience
* Maintaining a valid California Driver's License and a clean driving record
* Experience working with Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook and comfortable working with database software
* Ability to frequently lift and carry objects weighing up to 30 pounds when moving supplies and animal carriers
* Ability to stand, bend, stoop and crouch while working with animals or at events
* Available for weekend and evening work as necessary
Please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements attention Veterinary Science Administration to VetSciAdmin at tmmc.org<mailto:vetsciadmin at tmmc.org>. Please put "SLO Operations Manager" in the subject line. Please no phone calls or faxed submissions. Deadline for applications is Friday August 1st.
Human Resources Director and IT Manager
The Marine Mammal Center
2000 Bunker Road
Sausalito, CA 94965
groningerh at tmmc.org<mailto:groningerh at tmmc.org>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 92680 bytes
More information about the MARMAM