[MARMAM] New Paper: Lacaziosis-like disease among bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) photographed in Gulfo Dulce, Costa Rica.

Leslie Hart - NOAA Affiliate leslie.burdett at noaa.gov
Thu Jan 16 10:18:24 PST 2014

Dear colleagues,

We would like to inform you that the following article was recently
published in *Diseases of Aquatic Organisms*:

*Lacaziosis-like disease among bottlenose dolphins Tursiops
truncatus photographed in Gulfo Dulce, Costa Rica.*

Brooke L. Bessesen, Lenin Oviedo, Leslie Burdett Hart, David Herra-Miranda,
Juan Diego Pacheco-Polanco, Lesli Baker, Guido Saborío-Rodriguez, Luis
Bermúdez-Villapol, Alejandro Acevedo-Gutiérrez

ABSTRACT: Lacaziosis (also known as lobomycosis) is a chronic dermal
disease caused by the fungal agent *Lacazia loboi*, which affects both
humans and dolphins. Photographic data have been used to identify
lacaziosis-like disease (LLD) among dolphins in the waters of North and
South America, and here we report LLD in bottlenose dolphins*Tursiops
truncatus* off the coast of Costa Rica, the first reporting in Central
American waters. During the periods of 1991 to 1992 and 2010 to 2011, 3
research teams conducted separate dolphin surveys in the Pacific tropical
fiord Golfo Dulce, and each documented skin lesions in the resident
population of bottlenose dolphins. Photo-ID records were used to identify
LLD-affected bottlenose dolphins and to assess their lesions. Findings
showed between 13.2 and 16.1% of the identified dolphins exhibited lesions
grossly resembling lacaziosis. By combining efforts and cross-referencing
photographic data, the teams explored the presence of LLD in Golfo Dulce
over a time gap of approximately 20 yr. Our findings expand the
geographical range of the disease and offer insight into its longevity
within a given population of dolphins.

KEY WORDS: Skin lesions · Cetaceans · *Lacazia loboi* · LLD · Eastern
Pacific · Central America

2014. Vol 170: 173-180

Article link: http://www.int-res.com/articles/dao2013/107/d107p173.pdf

Please send correspondence to Brooke Bessesen: brooke at brookebessesen.com

--
Leslie Burdett Hart, PhD

Jardon and Howard Technologies, Inc. (JHT)
NOAA/NOS/NCCOS
Hollings Marine Laboratory
331 Ft. Johnson Rd.
Charleston, SC 29412