[MARMAM] HWDT Sightings and Strandings Officer Internship, Summer 2014
biodiversityofficer at hwdt.org
Wed Feb 26 04:19:01 PST 2014
HWDT Sightings and Strandings Officer Internship
The Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust (HWDT) is looking for an intern to
join its small team in Tobermory, on the Isle of Mull, for a period of
minimum 2 months to undertake a variety of research and education orientated
tasks. HWDT are keen to update their photo identification catalogues,
improve the information displayed on our website and enhance relationships
with local wildlife tour operators and sighting and stranding reporters.
This is a great opportunity for someone to develop their skills further and
improve the HWDT monitoring and outreach programme.
Tasks will include:
Community sightings/strandings and Photo-ID
* Assist with image matching and strandings ID
* Update databases with recent sightings and strandings
* Update website with recent sightings/strandings on each individual
* Keep regular contact with sighting and stranding reporters.
Wildlife Operator Relations
* Implement a scheme that was developed in 2012, encouraging more
cooperation and involvement from local wildlife tour operators
* Provide resources to wildlife operators
* Meet with wildlife operators to discuss recent research findings and
maintain good communications for the season ahead
* An ability to work in a conscientious and reliable manner
* Enthusiastic, hard-working and self-motivated
* A strong commitment to volunteer work
* Excellent verbal and communication skills (engaging with the public
is central to the role)
* IT skills (Office package, including Access)
* An ability to get on well with others in a small team.
* A background in marine biology/environmental science or similar
* Previous experience with Photo-ID analysis
* A strong interest and knowledge of British cetaceans
* Prior experience in boat-based survey work
* Experience in interacting with the public
All volunteers will be given an introduction into the placement on arriving.
Full training will also be provided for all other tasks that you will be
expected to undertake. The selected candidate will be sent a pack of
introductory materials and provided with a recommended reading list.
Placements are full-time (minimum 30 hours per week) for the period of June
- September. If candidate is not available for full 4 month, sharing options
could be discussed. Please indicate your availability in your application.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to gain income through
working in HWDTs Shop and Visitor Centre on the Main Street in Tobermory. A
wage will be provided for days worked in the centre. Volunteers will be
based in Tobermory on the Isle of Mull and are responsible for their own
travel, accommodation and living expenses.
How to Apply
Please send your C.V., a covering letter detailing any relevant experience
and contact information of two referees, to:
Clydesdale Bank Buildings,
Isle of Mull
Tel: +44 (0)1688 302620
Email: volunteercoordinator at hwdt.org
Closing date is 30th of March. Shortlisted candidates will be required to
undertake a Skype interview with the HWDT team sometime in late April.
Please note: candidates will only be contacted if short-listed.
The Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust (www.whaledolphintrust.co.uk) is
dedicated to enhancing knowledge and understanding of Scotland's whales,
porpoises and dolphins (cetaceans) and the Hebridean marine environment
through education, research and working within Hebridean communities as a
basis for the lasting conservation of local species and habitats.
Established in 1994, it is a registered Scottish charity based in Tobermory,
on the Hebridean Isle of Mull where it has its main, education and research
offices and visitor centre and shop. The Silurian, the Trust's motor
sailing ketch, which provides the platform for long-term monitoring work and
acts as a floating classroom for educational work, is also based in
Marine Biodiversity Officer
Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust
Clydesdale Bank Buildings
Isle of Mull
Tel: 01688 302620
<mailto:biodiversityofficer at hwdt.org> biodiversityofficer at hwdt.org
The Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust is dedicated to enhancing knowledge
and understanding of Scotland's whales, dolphins and porpoises (cetaceans)
and the Hebridean marine environment through education, research and working
within Hebridean communities as a basis for the lasting conservation of
local species and habitats.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM