[MARMAM] HWDT Education Internship
biodiversityofficer at hwdt.org
Wed Feb 26 04:21:17 PST 2014
HWDT Education Internship
The Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust are seeking to recruit an intern to
assist with its Education and Outreach Programme in 2013. This is a unique
opportunity for the right candidate to gain invaluable experience working
within a well-established charitable organisation and to contribute to
HWDT's innovative project work. Working with the Sightings and Strandings
Officer and other members of the HWDT team, the intern will be fully
supported and encouraged to develop their knowledge and skills to enhance
career aspirations and employability.
Tasks will include:
* Make visits to schools to deliver classroom-based and outdoor
* Engage with the general public at local events, including Highland
games, local shows, beach cleans, cetacean watches, etc.;
* Develop teaching resources and learning materials;
* Create promotional materials;
* Write articles for the newsletter, Wave, and news items for the
* Assist within HWDT's Visitor Centre and Shop, to include designing
and updating interpretive exhibitions and window displays;
* Deliver educational touch tank sessions;
* Update and monitor social networks;
* Work on-board the floating classroom, Silurian, for educational
visits and open boats (timetable and funding dependent);
* Undertake other tasks as directed.
It may also be possible to develop personal interests and skills (where they
can be supported) and there may be a chance to work within the other
departments at HWDT.
* An excellent communicator;
* Efficiently organised and self-motivated;
* Hard working and eager to learn;
* Able to bring their own ideas and personality to the role;
* Comfortable living and working for the duration of the internship in
the relatively remote island community of Mull.
* Educational qualifications, preferably in an educational and/or
* Relevant experience, ideally working with young people and/or the
* A proven interest in the environment, especially marine
* Interest and knowledge of British cetaceans
HWDT expect this opportunity to appeal to candidates with an interest in
education, outdoor learning, interpreting the marine environment in new and
exciting ways and a general passion for marine biodiversity.
Placements are for the period of June- September, and preference will be
given to those candidates who can stay for the entire period, although HWDT
may recruit several interns if it is not possible to cover the whole period
with one intern. Please indicate your availability in your application.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to gain income through
working in HWDTs Shop and Visitor Centre on the Main Street in Tobermory. A
wage will be provided for days worked in the centre. Volunteers will be
based in Tobermory on the Isle of Mull and are responsible for their own
travel, accommodation and living expenses.
How to Apply
Please send your C.V., a covering letter detailing any relevant experience
and contact information of two referees, to:
Clydesdale Bank Buildings,
Isle of Mull
Tel: +44 (0)1688 302620
Email: volunteercoordinator at hwdt.org
Closing date is 30th of March. Shortlisted candidates will be required to
undertake a Skype interview with the HWDT team sometime late April.
Please note: candidates will only be contacted if short-listed.
The Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust (www.whaledolphintrust.co.uk) is
dedicated to enhancing knowledge and understanding of Scotland's whales,
porpoises and dolphins (cetaceans) and the Hebridean marine environment
through education, research and working within Hebridean communities as a
basis for the lasting conservation of local species and habitats.
Established in 1994, it is a registered Scottish charity based in Tobermory,
on the Hebridean Isle of Mull where it has its main, education and research
offices and visitor centre and shop. The Silurian, the Trust's motor
sailing ketch, which provides the platform for long-term monitoring work and
acts as a floating classroom for educational work, is also based in
Marine Biodiversity Officer
Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust
Clydesdale Bank Buildings
Isle of Mull
Tel: 01688 302620
<mailto:biodiversityofficer at hwdt.org> biodiversityofficer at hwdt.org
The Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust is dedicated to enhancing knowledge
and understanding of Scotland's whales, dolphins and porpoises (cetaceans)
and the Hebridean marine environment through education, research and working
within Hebridean communities as a basis for the lasting conservation of
local species and habitats.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM