[MARMAM] Cape Ann Whale Watch Field Research and Environmental Education Internship

Lilly, Laura lbelliveau at worcester.edu
Mon Feb 3 19:56:31 PST 2014

Cape Ann Whale Watch is accepting applications for its Field Research and
Environmental Education Internship.  We work to educate passengers on our
whale watch boat about marine life and the oceans to foster a sense of
importance and personal responsibility in doing a part to contribute to the
well being and conservation of the environment. This internship will allow
you to gain hands-on experience in research, educational techniques, and
the general workings of being on a whale watch boat.

Interns are the core of the education program at Cape Ann Whale Watch. They
work collaboratively with the naturalist to help accomplish our goal of
educating people about whales and fostering a stronger appreciation and
respect for whales and the ocean environment. Educators circulate the boat
with hands-on teaching tools to educate the public about whales and their
environment. Once the actual whale watching begins, the naturalist provides
educational interpretive commentary while the interns collect data on whale
behavior and identification for our research.

Responsibilities:

-Circulate the vessel using hands on teaching tools  to educate passengers
and are available to answer passengers' questions on a wide variety of
topics- everything from whale behavior to ocean conservation.

-Collect data and help to identify individual animals to contribute to
ongoing research

-Help with the general functioning of the whale watch vessel and provide a
harbor tour to passengers at the beginning of each trip.

-Attend and participate in weekly meetings, which cover topics of interest
and relevance, and also provide opportunity for reflection and development
among the group of educators.

-Complete a project of their choice- past examples include creating a new
teaching tool or developing a slide show for passengers to view while on
board.

Qualifications

-Must have completed at least one year of college

-Self-motivated and able to work with little supervision

-Comfortable with talking to small and whole groups of passengers

This internship is geared toward college students and recent graduates,
however all who are interested are encouraged to apply. Applicants *do not
need to be from the field of biology, and prior experience is not required-
all training is provided.* The deadline for application is March 15, *however
early application is strongly encouraged.*  The whale watching season
begins in early May and it runs through October. During this time, we ask
that people can devote at least 10 weeks to the internship.

This is an unpaid internship, and housing is not provided, but we will work
with all the interns to find something suitable. It is your responsibility
to arrange for college credit if you choose, and we will help you to
complete your college's requirements.For full internship details, visit
http://seethewhales.com/index.php?link=internship

If you are interested please send a resume, cover letter, two written
letters of recommendation, and an unofficial transcript to:

            lbelliveau at worcester.edu

                            or

Cape Ann Whale Watch

PO BOX 345