[MARMAM] New Paper on Management of Hawaiian Spinner Dolphin Resting Bays

Heather Heenehan hheenehan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 11:51:18 PST 2014

We are pleased to announce the publication of the paper "Using Ostrom's
common-pool resource
theory to build toward an integrated ecosystem-based sustainable cetacean
tourism system in Hawai`i" in the Journal of Sustainable Tourism this week.
Please email hlh18 at duke.edu if you are unable to gain access to the article
and I will send you a link to download it.

For more information please see the Press release here:
http://nicholas.duke.edu/news/federal-and-local-action-needed-protect-hawaiis-spinner-dolphins

Citation and link: Heenehan H, Basurto X, Bejder L, Tyne J, Higham JES,
Johnston DW. Using Ostrom's common-pool resource theory to build toward an
integrated ecosystem-based sustainable cetacean tourism system in Hawai`i.
Journal of Sustainable Tourism. 2014:1-21.
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09669582.2014.986490#.VJMkJnsw34-

Abstract: This paper explores the suitability of community-based
conservation measures to complement a proposed command-and-control approach
for two multi-user bays with spinner dolphins in Hawai`i, USA, which have
considerable dolphin watching tourist activities and human-dolphin
interactions. The paper uses Ostrom's common-pool resource theory as an
analytical lens, with an assessment of the attributes of the resource and
the user(s) to explore questions of governance and sustainability. In
Hawai`i, spinner dolphins move predictably from offshore overnight feeding
grounds into shallow bays for daytime rest, interacting frequently with
humans using these bays for tourism and other social, recreational, and
subsistence purposes. To reduce the current negative interactions with
dolphins, managers are seeking to implement a command-and-control approach,
namely time-area closures. Our analysis indicates that viewing the bay as a
resource with tourism as one of many human demands, instead of specifically
focusing on dolphins, reflects an ecosystem-based approach and acknowledges
complex management demands. We found that while unrealistic to expect
community-based conservation to spontaneously emerge here, cultivating some
of Ostrom's attributes among stakeholders might lead to a more productive
set of institutional arrangements that would benefit the dolphin
population, with the methodology used potentially leading to a global
management model.

-Heather
Heather Heenehan
http://sites.duke.edu/heatherheenehan/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/heather-heenehan/
@Spinnerheather <https://twitter.com/SpinnerHeather>

Ph.D. Candidate, Marine Science and Conservation, Duke University
MEM, Master of Environmental Management, Coastal Environmental Management,
Duke University
BS, Bachelor of Science, Environmental Science, University of Connecticut

"Let the beauty we love be what we do." -Jelaluddin Rumi