[MARMAM] Land-based bottlenose dolphin photo-ID volunteer positions, Wales, UK

CBMWC info at cbmwc.org
Mon Dec 8 04:11:17 PST 2014

WTSWW_high_res_logoCBMWC logo without boarderCardigan Bay Marine Wildlife
Centre

New Quay

Wales

 <http://www.cbmwc.org/> www.cbmwc.org

ShoreFin <http://www.cbmwc.org/shore-fin-project/>  Project volunteers 2015

Dedicated to conserving Cardigan Bay’s marine wildlife through education and
research

The Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre (CBMWC) is recruiting two volunteers
to continue our ShoreFin project throughout the 2015 field season
(March-November). Initiated in 2014 ShoreFin is our dedicated land-based
bottlenose dolphin photo-identification (Photo-ID) project whose aim is to
build up an understanding of bottlenose dolphin site usage within the New
Quay bay area, to find out which individuals visit New Quay bay and to find
out more about the ecology and life history of these animals.

Building on our work from the 2014 season the ShoreFin team will be
responsible for conducting opportunistic land-based photo-ID of bottlenose
dolphins in the New Quay harbour area and for sorting, matching and
cataloguing the images captured along with those taken during our boat
surveys. At the end of the project you will be expected to produce a
detailed report of the findings from the project.  Our ShoreFin Project 2014
report is now available to download from our website
(http://www.cbmwc.org/shore-fin-project/).

About CBMWC

The Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre is based in New Quay, west Wales, UK
and is the marine wing of the Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales. Since
1996 we have been dedicated to raising awareness of the local marine
environment through research and education. Using boat-based and land-based
surveys techniques, photo-identification and acoustic studies we collect
data on marine megafauna, with a focus on bottlenose dolphins, harbour
porpoises and Atlantic grey seals in the Cardigan Bay Special Area of
Conservation (SAC) and the wider Irish Sea. We operate a busy visitor centre
and also run an education and activity room which offers marine educational
activities for families with young children.

Role description:

·      Responsible for photographing the bottlenose dolphins (and other
marine mammals) in New Quay bay

·      Responsible for sorting, matching and cataloguing bottlenose dolphin
photographs taken from land and boat surveys

·      Analyse data and write the ShoreFin end of season project report

·      Maintain up to date procedures for all aspects of CBMWC photo-ID work

·      Assist with compiling the CBMWC bottlenose dolphin photo-ID catalogue

·      Provide regular updates and images for our Facebook and Twitter feeds

·      Provide information for our dolphin adoption scheme

·      Provide regular project updates to the CBMWC Science Officer

·      You may also be requested to assist with other aspects of our work,
such as field surveys, data entry, manning our visitor centre and
educational activities.

Essential skills and qualifications:

·      Experience with digital SLR cameras and wildlife photography

·      Mature and responsible attitude as you will be using expensive camera
and computer equipment

·      Proactive with the ability to work independently and unsupervised

·      Flexible approach to work as you will be required to work outside of
normal office hours

·      Ability to work closely with others as part of a small team

·      IT skills

·      An interest in wildlife and conservation

·      Excellent verbal and written communication skills

·      Fluency in English

Desirable skills

·      Experience using ArcGIS

·      Experience of statistical analysis

·      Report writing skills

·      An interest and knowledge of British cetaceans

·      A background in biology/marine biology/environmental science

Commitment:

The successful applicants must be available to start on 23rd March and
commit for the entire field season until 2nd November. Flexibility in
working hours is essential as the photography work will need to be
undertaken opportunistically when the dolphins are in the survey area so you
must be prepared to work outside of normal working hours.

Accommodation and expenses:

If you are from outside of the local area then we can assist with finding
accommodation.

For example, accommodation can be arranged locally in private houses for
approx. £60/week, including bills. You will be responsible for all your own
accommodation, travel and other expenses incurred however it is relatively
easy to find a part-time job.

To apply:

Please email a CV and covering letter (no more than one side of A4)
outlining your experience and motivations for applying to
volunteer at cbmwc.org by 25th January 2015 with “ShoreFin 2015” in the subject
line. Interviews via Skype will take place during the week commencing 2nd
February.

Contact:

Further information about our work is available on our website
<http://www.cbmwc.org/> . For additional information and any queries, please
contact Laura Mears, Project Officer

Email: volunteer at cbmwc.org

Tel: 01545 560224

Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre

Patent Slip Building

Glanmor Terrace

New Quay

Ceredigion

SA45 9PS

www.cbmwc.org

Laura Mears

Project Officer

Support our research - adopt a Cardigan Bay dolphin with the Cardigan Bay
Marine Wildlife Centre
<http://www.cbmwc.org/support-us/adopt-a-cardigan-bay-dolphin/>

Raise money for CBMWC with each internet search you do - it doesn't cost you
a penny  <http://sites.affilyon.co.uk/CBMWC>
http://sites.affilyon.co.uk/CBMWC

Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre

Patent Slip Building

Glanmor Terrace

New Quay

Ceredigion

SA45 9PS

Wales, UK

Ffon/Phone: 01545 560 224

E-bost/Email:  <mailto:info at cbmwc.org> info at cbmwc.org

Website:  <http://www.cbmwc.org/> www.cbmwc.org

For all the latest news and sightings information, please visit our website,
follow us on Twitter and become a fan of our Facebook page

 <http://www.cbmwc.org/> www.cbmwc.org

 <http://twitter.com/CBMWC> http://twitter.com/CBMWC

 <http://facebook.com/CBMWC> http://facebook.com/CBMWC

Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre is supported by the Cardigan Bay Marine
Wildlife Group, a marine interest group of the Wildlife Trust of South and
West Wales.

Helping to conserve Cardigan Bay's marine wildlife through education and
research

Helpu I warchod bywyd gwyllt morol Bae Ceredigion drwy addysg ac ymchwil

The contents of this email are confidential and are soley for the use of the
intended recipient. If you receive this email in error please delete it and
notify us either by email or telephone. It is prohibited to copy, forward or
otherwise disclose the contents of this email.