[MARMAM] Questionnaire - The Beaked Whale Challenge (detection & identification of ziphiids)

Sanne Bakkers sanne_b_93 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 5 15:59:53 PST 2014

Dear all,I am a final year student Applied Biology from the Netherlands. Currently, I am looking into the challenge of (at sea) detection and identification of beaked whales (Ziphiidae) as part of a school assignment. By studying the literature, distributing this questionnaire and analysing photo/video material, I would like to provide an overview of (1) detection and identification methods that are currently being used, (2) the difficulties around detecting and identifying beaked whales, and (3) possible ways to deal with these difficulties. For my questionnaire, I am looking for people who are or have been involved in beaked whale research and have field experience with these cetaceans. The response deadline is set for December 26, 2014. However, questionnaires returned after this date are still very welcome. Photo and video material of beaked whales at sea (especially of the 'rarer' Mesoplodon species; for analysis) are also more than welcome. Provided material, participation and answers will be kept confidential. If you have any questions, please notify me through email: S.Bakkers at student.has.nl . In advance, I would like to thank you for your consideration and support in this challenge.
Questionnaire link: http://www.thesistools.com/web/?id=442340Sanne BakkersHAS University of Applied SciencesThe NetherlandsP.s. My apologies for double posting in case you have already received an email about this questionnaire.