[MARMAM] INTERNS: Internships Available: Cascadia Research Collective: Olympia, Washington

Art Mackay art at bayoffundy.ca
Sat Dec 6 06:31:34 PST 2014

Cascadia Research Collective is looking for interns for Winter and
Spring 2015!

We are seeking interns to help with our research! Interns with Cascadia
most often are assisting staff on our long-term photo-ID studies of
humpback, blue, and gray whales off the US West Coast and the inside
waters of Washington state, or a variety of odontocetes species
(rough-tooth dolphins, melon-headed whales) from our work in Hawai'i. In
this capacity, interns will be expected to spend a large portion of
their time comparing photographs to our existing catalogs, and may
additionally be involved in digital image processing, data entry, and
tasks related to historical catalog maintenance. The positions are
largely office-based (in Olympia, WA), although there may be some
opportunities to assist staff in field data collection. In addition,
interns will assist staff in stranding response in Washington state as
they come up. This includes participation in beach surveys, data and
specimen collection, data entry, and assisting in necropsies of both
pinnipeds and cetaceans. Responses may involve hiking into remote areas
and carrying heavy loads, and participants should be comfortable with
the sight of blood, and strong, unpleasant odors.

Cascadia gives priority to those seeking internships for
college/university credit as well as to those who can commit full time
(40 hours a week). We prefer those students who are considered a junior
or senior in college with some science classes in their background or
those seeking to go to or are in graduate school in a marine science
field. These positions are unpaid and at this time we are not able to
house anyone. The internships are generally three months in length and
Cascadia is currently filling positions for winter and spring of 2015
(Jan-March and mid-March through mid-June). International applicants
will be considered, but is the responsibility of the applicant to
acquire necessary visas and documentation.

If you are interested, please check out our web site and send a resume
to our intern coordinator (Kiirsten Flynn) and a letter of interest that
describes why you are applying for the position and how the experience
will help you be successful in meeting long-term goals.

http://www.cascadiaresearch.org/interns.htm

For more information about Cascadia Research Collective and our research
please visit:

www.cascadiaresearch.org <http://www.cascadiaresearch.org>

Kiirsten Flynn

Research Biologist