[MARMAM] Job Announcement
hr at alaskasealife.org
Fri Dec 5 16:28:11 PST 2014
The Alaska SeaLife Center generates and shares scientific knowledge to
promote understanding and stewardship of Alaska’s marine ecosystems is
seeking applications for the following:
*Research Technician II or III *
This position is responsible for aiding in the development, testing and
application of innovative tools and techniques for remotely monitoring the
behavior of marine mammals.
*Education and Experience Requirements:*
A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in biology, zoology, or related science or
engineering field with two years of relevant work experience or the
equivalent required. Demonstration of high level of proficiency in
scientific laboratory techniques is essential, as is ability to conduct
statistical data analyses. Ability to be organized, self-motivated, and
capable of working well with a team is required, and experience writing
reports is preferred. Experience working with wild animals and using
biotelemetry instruments and scientific software including Geographical
Information Systems and statistics packages is also preferred.
*Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):*
1. Conducts laboratory and field testing of biotelemetry electronics
and attachment systems, and conducts data analyses of test results.
2. Assists in the design and engineering of biotelemetry
3. Performs data analyses on movements and behavior of marine mammals
using computer software including Geographical Information Systems and
4. Assists lead scientist on designated research projects, and may
assist in developing project plans and managing budgets.
5. Conducts field and/or laboratory based research activities that
may include arranging logistics, supervising field or laboratory staff in
the absence of the lead scientist, and reporting to the lead scientist
regularly on the status of the project.
6. Assists in the development of data collection protocols,
processing samples, and tutoring other technicians, interns, volunteers and
graduate students in laboratory procedures and techniques.
7. May supervise personnel matters for interns, volunteers and
graduate students. May assign and check work, establish schedules, set
deadlines, and delegate authority. May set performance standards for
staff. May prepare annual performance evaluations. May make personnel
related recommendations to the Program Manager/PI.
8. May assist in drafting reports and scientific publications and may
take a lead role on reports and publications as assigned.
9. Manages the procurement, inventory, and maintenance of facilities,
equipment and supplies to be used in research projects.
10. Prepares and updates posters and graphic presentations.
11. May prepare and present public presentations.
This is a full-time position. ASLC offers a competitive wage (DOE) and
*Apply by:* December 10, 2014
*Start Date:* By December 31, 2014
Send resume *and* application (downloadable at www.alaskasealife.org) to
HR at alaskasealife.org.
All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression,
sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran
Alaska SeaLife Center
Fax: (907) 224-6360
P.O. Box 1329 • 301 Railway Ave • Seward, AK 99664
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM