[MARMAM] Seeking an Events and Outreach Intern

themanxsociety formarineconservation manxsmc at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 10:51:47 PST 2014

*Position: Events and Outreach Intern *

*About manxsmc *

The Manx Society for Marine Conservation (manxsmc) is a non-for-profit
marine research society based in Peel, Isle of Man and was set up to
preserve and enhance the unique Manx marine environment through the
advocation of research, education and conservation in the community.

The Island is host to some of the richest biodiversity in the British
Isles, making it one of the most inspirational places to study temperate
marine biology and conservation. This is evidenced by the abundance of
large megafaunal species; namely risso’s dolphin, bottlenose dolphin, short
beaked common dolphin, minke whales and basking sharks, of which both
resident and transient populations are found annually in Manx waters.

Our aim is to better understand this diversity and in doing so establish
links between people and marine life, banishing boundaries between the
scientific world and the general public which we feel is vital for the
protection of the distinctive Manx marine environment.

*Events and Outreach Intern*

*Position Description *

A seasonal volunteer is required for the specific period of 11th May
to 28th August
2015 to aid in our awareness-raising programs by using social media
platforms, updating our website and attending local events to promote the
conservation work of manxsmc. You may also be required to help in our
research projects.

Manxsmc is run by volunteers and it will be a fantastic opportunity to
visit a new place, meet likeminded people and further your experience in
marine conservation and public outreach. You will learn about our research
projects, the species and marine ecosystems of the Isle of Man, use social
media platforms to promote our work and recent marine conservation
developments and arrange and promote the attendance at local events to
engage with the public.

There may also be additional opportunities to gain an RYA powerboat level 2
license and visit the Calf of Man.

*How to apply*

Please email a CV, application form and covering letter (no more than one
side of A4) explaining how you meet the personal specification and why you
wish to apply for the position to volunteer at manxsmc.com with *Events and
Outreach Intern in your subject line. *

*Deadline for applications: 30th January 2015 at 12:00pm.*