[MARMAM] Internships Available: Cascadia Research Collective: Olympia, Washington

Kiirsten Flynn KFlynn at cascadiaresearch.org
Wed Dec 3 14:53:21 PST 2014

Cascadia Research Collective is looking for interns for Winter and Spring 2015!

We are seeking interns to help with our research! Interns with Cascadia most often are assisting staff on our long-term photo-ID studies of humpback, blue, and gray whales off the US West Coast and the inside waters of Washington state, or a variety of odontocetes species (rough-tooth dolphins, melon-headed whales) from our work in Hawai'i. In this capacity, interns will be expected to spend a large portion of their time comparing photographs to our existing catalogs, and may additionally be involved in digital image processing, data entry, and tasks related to historical catalog maintenance. The positions are largely office-based (in Olympia, WA), although there may be some opportunities to assist staff in field data collection. In addition, interns will assist staff in stranding response in Washington state as they come up. This includes participation in beach surveys, data and specimen collection, data entry, and assisting in necropsies of both pinnipeds and cetaceans. Responses may involve hiking into remote areas and carrying heavy loads, and participants should be comfortable with the sight of blood, and strong, unpleasant odors.

Cascadia gives priority to those seeking internships for college/university credit as well as to those who can commit full time (40 hours a week). We prefer those students who are considered a junior or senior in college with some science classes in their background or those seeking to go to or are in graduate school in a marine science field. These positions are unpaid and at this time we are not able to house anyone. The internships are generally three months in length and Cascadia is currently filling positions for winter and spring of 2015 (Jan-March and mid-March through mid-June). International applicants will be considered, but is the responsibility of the applicant to acquire necessary visas and documentation.

If you are interested, please check out our web site and send a resume to our intern coordinator (Kiirsten Flynn) and a letter of interest that describes why you are applying for the position and how the experience will help you be successful in meeting long-term goals.
http://www.cascadiaresearch.org/interns.htm

For more information about Cascadia Research Collective and our research please visit:
www.cascadiaresearch.org<http://www.cascadiaresearch.org>

Kiirsten Flynn
Research Biologist
Cascadia Research Collective