[MARMAM] New publication on pantropical spotted dolphin population genetics

Sarah Courbis sarahcourbis at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 23:49:21 PDT 2014

The following publication is now available:

Courbis, S., R.W. Baird, F. Cipriano, and D. Duffield. 2014. Evidence of
multiple populations of pantropical spotted dolphins (Stenella attenuata)
in Hawaiian waters. Journal of Heredity. 105(5):627-641. doi:
10.1093/jhered/esu046

Please contact sarahcourbis at gmail.com for pdf.

*Abstract*

Understanding gene flow and dispersal patterns is important for predicting
effects of natural events and anthropogenic activities on animal
populations. In Hawai‘i, most species of odontocetes are managed as single
populations. Recent exceptions include false killer whales, spinner
dolphins, and common bottlenose dolphins, for which studies have shown
fidelity to individual islands or groups of islands. Our study focused on
pantropical spotted dolphins. We analyzed mitochondrial control region and
11 microsatellite loci from 101 individuals from four areas: Hawai‘i,
Maui/Lana‘i, O‘ahu, and Kaua‘i/Ni‘ihau. We examined *F*ST, *Fʹ*ST, *R*ST,
Jost’s *D*, and ΦST and used TESS to estimate number of populations and
assignment probabilities. Our results support genetic differentiation among
Hawaiʻi, Maui/Lana‘i, and Oʻahu and suggest that pantropical spotted
dolphins near Kaua‘i/Ni‘ihau are likely transient and in low numbers.
Between island regions, *F*st for microsatellites ranged from 0.016- 0.045
and for mtDNA from 0.011-0.282. *F*ʹST, ranged from 0.098-0.262 for
microsatellites and 0.019-0.415 for mtDNA. *RST* and ΦST showed similar
results to *F*ST for microsatellites and mtDNA respectively, and Jost’s *D*
fell between *F*ST and *F*ʹST. TESS supported three populations, and
greatest mean assignment probability by island region ranged from
0.50-0.72. The private alleles method indicated migration rates among
regions from 1.49-3.45, and effective population size of the island of
Hawaiʻi was estimated to be 220. There was no strong evidence to support
sex-biased dispersal or group fidelity. Considering this study in the
larger context of other odontocete population studies and studies of
connectivity, we suggest genetic differentiation may be mediated by
behavior adapted to differing habitat types and niches.

*Key Words*

*Stenella attenuata*; Hawai‘i; population genetics; management; stock;
conservation

Cheers,
Sarah

Sarah Courbis, Ph.D.