[MARMAM] New publication on estimating exposure to boat traffic with spatially explicit capture–recapture models

Enrico Pirotta pirotts at libero.it
Wed Apr 30 03:52:30 PDT 2014

Dear MARMAM colleagues,

We are pleased to announce that the following paper has been made available
online:

Enrico Pirotta, Paul M. Thompson, Barbara Cheney, Carl Donovan, David Lusseau
(In press). Estimating spatial, temporal and individual variability in dolphin
cumulative exposure to boat traffic using spatially explicit capture–recapture
methods. Animal Conservation. DOI: 10.1111/acv.12132

ABSTRACT:
Appropriate management of the effects of human activities on animal
populations requires quantification of the rate at which animals encounter
stressors. Such activities are heterogeneously distributed in space, as are the
individual animals in a population. This will result in a heterogeneous
exposure rate, which is also likely to vary over time. A spatially explicit
analysis of individual exposure is therefore required. We applied Bayesian
spatially explicit capture–recapture models to photo-identification data to
estimate the home range of well-marked individuals in a protected coastal
population of bottlenose dolphins. Model results were combined with the
estimated distribution of boat traffic to quantify how exposure to this
disturbance varied in time and space. Variability in exposure between
individuals was also investigated using a mixed-effects model. The cumulative
individual exposure to boat traffic varied between summers, depending both on
the overall area usage and the degree of individual movement around the
activity centres. Despite this variability, regions of higher risk could be
identified. There were marked inter-individual differences in the predicted
amount of time dolphins spent in the presence of boats, and individuals tended
to be consistently over- or underexposed across summers. Our study offers a
framework to describe the temporal, spatial and individual variation in
exposure to anthropogenic stressors when individuals can be repeatedly
identified over time. It provides opportunities to map exposure risk and
understand how this evolves in time at both individual and population levels.
The outcome of such modelling can be used as a robust evidence base to support
management decisions.

KEY WORDS: Bayesian modelling; capture–recapture; disturbance; dolphin;
exposure rate; home range; marine traffic; Tursiops truncatus.

A PDF copy of the work can be downloaded from:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/acv.12132/abstract

Please do not hesitate to contact me for any question regarding our work.

All the best,
Enrico Pirotta