[MARMAM] Blasting on humpback whale breeding ground - Cape Verde

Conor Ryan cryan at mcr-team.org
Fri Apr 11 17:14:27 PDT 2014

Dear Colleagues,

We regret to inform you of plans for underwater blasting due to commence
imminently at Sal-Rei Harbour in Boa Vista, Cape Verde during peak humpback
whale breeding season. This is the single most important location known for
breeding humpback whales in the Eastern North Atlantic. This population is
precariously small (~230 individuals) and genetically distinct. We are
urgently contacting government officials requesting that the blasting is
postponed until after the breeding season. Only yesterday, a mother/calf
pair were observed inside the harbour where the blasting is to occur until
August. Your advice and support on this issue would be gratefully
appreciated. If you would like to submit a letter to voice your opposition
to this activity, we would be happy to provide you with some more
information and contact details of appropriate authorities.

Best wishes,

Conor Ryan (Marine Conservation Research, United Kingdom)

Pedro Lopez Suárez (Bios, Sal Rei, Cape Verde)

Cornelis Hazevoet (Instituto de Investigação Científica Tropical, Lisboa,
Portugal)

Frederick Wenzel (National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration,
USA)

Beatrice Jann (Swiss Whale Society, Switzerland)

Simon Berrow (Irish Whale and Dolphin Group / Galway-Mayo Institute of
Technology, Ireland)