[MARMAM] R package for dead reckoning and visualization

Brian Battaile brian.battaile at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 11:28:22 PDT 2014

Dear Colleagues,

For those of you working with accelerometer and magnetometer data, I wanted
to call your attention to a new R package called TrackReconstruction
designed to perform dead reckoning on the data and visualize the results.
The package includes a vignette with some additional information on dealing
with large data sets using PERL prior to import into R, color mapping of
the results with bathymetry data and finally how to make animated movies of
the tracks.  The package does not have functions to analyze behavior, a
major focus of accelerometer research in our field.  To that end, I'm keen
to expand the utility of the package from other contributors who don't want
to go through the hassle of creating their own R package, please contact me
atbrian.battaile at gmail.com if you are interested.

This R package is not the only package for this type of analysis.  There is
another R package called animalTrack that does essentially the same thing
but with a slightly different implementation and some nice alternative
features.  In addition there is an add-in to IGOR Pro that does the
deadreckoning and an additional add-in from Kentaro Sakamoto called
Ethographer that does behavioral analysis, and of course Colin Ware's
TrackPlot that is an amazing visualization tool.  There may be others I'm
not aware of.

Cheers,

Brian