[MARMAM] Bioacoustics Internship at USCB - Summer 2014

MONTIE, ERIC EMONTIE at uscb.edu
Thu Apr 3 12:32:40 PDT 2014

Dear Colleagues,
Please see the announcement below for an internship in marine bioacoustics during summer 2014.

Sincerely,
Dr. Eric Montie

Eric W. Montie
Assistant Professor of Biology
Department of Natural Sciences
University of South Carolina Beaufort
One University Boulevard
Bluffton, SC 29909

Office Phone: (843) 208-8107
Fax: (843) 208-8294
Email: emontie at uscb.edu

Bioacoustics Internship

Salary: Unpaid Internship. Applicant is responsible for securing housing in the area.

Position Information:  Part or Full time (20-40 hrs per week); Monday through Friday; Flexible hours. Position is from June 1st-September 1st.  Applicant must be available for 3 months; however position can be extended, and the start date is flexible.

Location: This position is located at the University of South Carolina Beaufort at the Bluffton campus. Bluffton, SC is located only 20 minutes from Hilton Head Island, SC. The campus is 10 minutes from the May River and 15 minutes from the Atlantic Ocean.

About Our Lab: Our research lab strives to understand the sensory and neurobiology of marine organisms. Specifically, we are interested in brain architecture, hearing of fish and marine mammals, and acoustic communication of aquatic vertebrates. The more applied part of our research program focuses on studies that investigate how natural and man-made stressors impact the brain, hearing, and acoustic communication. These stressors include man-made chemicals, harmful algal blooms, noise pollution, and climate change. We use techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging, auditory evoked potentials, and passive acoustics using long-term monitoring devices. This research involves work on biomedical models such as zebrafish, as well as wild marine organisms like spotted seatrout, red drum, and bottlenose dolphins.

Duties Include:
(1) Sound production studies with fish and bottlenose dolphins (mostly fish).
(2) Maintenance of water quality sensors in the May River.

(3) Zebrafish husbandry and breeding

The internship will focus on analyzing and interpreting previously collected acoustic data using our DSG-Ocean Recorders. There will be some opportunities for field work, consisting primarily of equipment maintenance.

Qualifications: Experience with Adobe Audition, Excel, and MATLAB preferred, but not required. The internship is designed for undergraduates who are interested in gaining experience in marine bioacoustics. Undergraduates should have at least one full academic year completed. Good organizational skills are a necessity.

How to Apply: Please email a C.V. and two reference letters with contact information to Dr. Eric Montie (emontie at uscb.edu) and Alishia Zyer (zyer at uscb.edu). Both parties must be notified via email.  If you have questions concerning the position, please email or phone (843) 208-8107.