[MARMAM] Fwd: Bottlenose dolphins and fish farms in Mauritius
jipperim.orca at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 20:10:42 PDT 2014
May-July 2014 (3 months)
Mauritius Marine Conservation Society (MMCS) with the Ferme Marin de
Mahebourg is *urgently* looking for a Masters student or suitably
experienced volunteer to conduct a pilot study investigating the presence
of Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphins (*Tursiops aduncus*) around a fish farm
by passive acoustic monitoring and boat based transects.
Along with photo-identification and acoustics, you will collect data on the
group size and structure, behaviour, area use and regularly record
environmental variables. You and the team (1 or 2 others) will be
responsible for ensuring data entry is organised and up-to-date, and
equipment is well maintained.
The successful applicant will need to be in Mauritius by early May and be
available for 2-3 months.
· Educated to at least degree level in marine science/biology.
· Previous cetacean work including photo-identification experience
and boat based surveys, behaviour recognition.
· Experience with handheld GPS and associated software
· Good computer skills (Excel, Word, GIS, photo editing, acoustic
· Diver, minimum 50+ dives or AOW
Highly desired skills and experience:
· Previous cetacean acoustic experience
· Willingness to spend long hours on the sea in sometimes difficult
· Highly motivated and organised as there will be limited (though
regular) onsite supervision and able to concentrate for several hours at a
· Good people skills - you will be living in close quarters with
· Ability to work in a team environment maintaining focus on work
· Knowledge of turtle and seabird identification for the western
Indian Ocean is a bonus.
Please note that this is an *unpaid* position, however, it is a great
opportunity to gain valuable field experience while exploring the unique
Indian Ocean island of Mauritius. The successful applicant will contribute
200GBP per week to accommodation, diving equipment, fish farm safety and
diver training and some running/admin costs. *Food is the applicants
responsibility* (allow 40-60GBP/week). You will need to cover your own
airfares and insurance (including diving). Airport transfers can be
organized for an additional 65GBP (rtn).
MMCS is a non-governmental organization existing for more than 30 years,
working actively to promote awareness and appreciation of the rich marine
life around Mauritius.
For more information and to apply send your CV to: Nina and Imogen via
email: info at mmcs-ngo.org with the Subject heading 'FMM study'
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM