[MARMAM] 18th Annual NWSSMM Meeting Registration and Info

katrinan at uvic.ca katrinan at uvic.ca
Wed Apr 2 17:16:54 PDT 2014

Calling all northwest marine mammalogy students!

We are pleased to announce that the 18th annual spring meeting of the
Northwest Student Chapter of the Society of Marine Mammalogy (NWSSMM) will
take place on the weekend of May 3rd - 4th 2014, at Western Washington
University (WWU) in Bellingham, WA.

We would like to invite all graduate and undergraduate students in the
Pacific Northwest (BC, Yukon, Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Northern
California and Idaho) doing research on marine mammals to present their
work at this conference. The purpose of the meeting is to gather students
in a relaxed atmosphere to share research ideas, tribulations, and
triumphs. It is an opportunity to meet others across the region,
collaborate, and generally have a good time in a supportive and informal
setting.

**This year we are encouraging those students that are in the planning and
proposal stage of their projects to present a poster, and for those
researchers with results to give an oral presentation. This will allow
each speaker more time to present their work, and provide a chance those
in the preparatory stages more time to receive feedback and field
questions during the poster sessions.

 We are also happy to accept guests that are not presenting, but are
interested in the research being done in this region. Oral presentations
and poster sessions will take place on Saturday May 3rd on the WWU
campus.

On Sunday May 4th we will be hosting outdoor activities in the Bellingham
area. We will be either A) taking a tour of WWU's Shannon Point Marine
Center and taking a wildlife-watching trip on one of their research
vessels (additional charge of about $20/person), or B) hiking in the
beautiful nearby Chuckanut Mountains (no extra charge). Please indicate on
the registration survey which activity you would prefer and we will offer
the most popular activity.

The registration fee for the conference will be $15 USD. This will cover
conference materials as well as breakfast, lunch and light snacks on
Saturday. That evening we will be hosting a conference dinner at a local
restaurant. All attendees are encouraged to attend, but this will not be
covered by the registration fee. Free accommodations for the weekend are
available with WWU students on a first-come, first-served basis. If you
wish to book other accommodations, these arrangements can be made on your
own.

Registration and abstract submissions for posters and oral presentations
are being accepted until April 15th, 2014. Registration will be done via
this SurveyMonkey survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/J953HN7

If you have any questions or would like any clarification about the
upcoming meeting, please do not hesitate to contact the planning committee
via Erin D'Agnese at dagnese at students.wwu.edu or Kat Nikolich at
nikolik at students.wwu.edu.

We look forward to seeing you all in Bellingham very soon!