[MARMAM] Reminder: Ocean Sciences 2014 session

Mark Baumgartner mbaumgartner at whoi.edu
Mon Sep 30 05:37:08 PDT 2013

Colleagues,

This is a reminder that the abstract deadline for the 2014 Ocean Sciences conference is this Friday, October 4.  Please see our original advertisement below for details about the conference and a session on top predators.

Please note that you will be required to pay the conference registration fees when submitting an abstract, but provisions have been made to allow U.S. government employees to postpone paying these fees.  If you are a U.S. government employee, please email me at mbaumgartner at whoi.edu for instructions before submitting your abstract.  Registration fees for all participants are refundable (minus a $70 USD processing fee) if registration is cancelled prior to January 20, 2014.

Kind regards,
Mark

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Mark Baumgartner <mbaumgartner at whoi.edu>
> Subject: Ocean Sciences 2014 session
> Date: September 10, 2013 12:41:46 PM EDT
> To: marmam at lists.uvic.ca
>
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> The 17th Biennial Ocean Sciences Meeting will take place 23-28 February 2014 in Honolulu, Hawaii.  The meeting is an important venue for scientific exchange across broad marine science disciplines, with sessions on all aspects of oceanography.  We would like to call your attention to a session we will be chairing that will focus on top predators, including marine mammals.  Please consider submitting an abstract and attending the meeting.  Abstracts are due by 4 October 2013 (3 weeks from Friday).
>
> ADVANCES IN APPROACHES TO MONITORING THE OCCURRENCE, DISTRIBUTION, AND BEHAVIOR OF TOP PREDATORS (session 091)
>
> Unlike most marine organisms, top predators can be monitored in the field as individuals, providing unique insight into behavioral strategies that influence the status and dynamics of populations. Tremendous technological and methodological progress has been made in marine animal detection, tagging, and tracking in the past decade, and this session seeks to gather researchers to share new insights into top predator behavior, ecology, and physiology gleaned from these state-of- the-art approaches. We encourage researchers working with autonomous platforms, passive acoustic detection, animal tagging, satellite tracking, remote monitoring technologies, and other advanced methods to participate and present their latest results.
>
> Mark Baumgartner, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
> mbaumgartner at whoi.edu
>
> Daniel Palacios, Environmental Research Division, Southwest Fisheries Science Center, NOAA/National Marine Fisheries Service
> daniel.palacios at noaa.gov

Mark Baumgartner
Associate Scientist
Biology Department