[MARMAM] help for an entangled bottlenose dolphin needed

Martina Duras martina.duras at vz.htnet.hr
Mon Sep 9 05:19:33 PDT 2013

Dear list members,

A bottlenose dolphin entangled in fishing gear was observed during our
last field trip. The fishing gear is deeply embedded in the back, mouth
angle, and the chest wall and intensive hypergranulation is overgrowing
the embedding line. According to the locals since June this animal
regularly appears close to a fishing farm. During our observation the
dolphin approached our boat up to 10 meters; it was swimming slowly and
alone. We presume that it would be possible to sedate the animal and to
surgically remove the fishing gear, but our team has no experience in
this field. A step-by step protocol for such cases and experienced staff
would be needed.

We are thankful for any help and suggestions.

There are two links to photos of the entangled dolphin:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/108230737213371629100/albums/5921534909205069857

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/108230737213371629100/albums/5921551197391746513

Best regards,

Martina Duras, DVM, PhD
Department of Anatomy, Histology and Embryology
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine University of Zagreb
Heinzelova 55
10000 Zagreb
Croatia