[MARMAM] Functional convergence of echolocation in bats and toothed whales

Peter Teglberg Madsen peter.madsen at biology.au.dk
Tue Oct 8 04:12:47 PDT 2013

Dear All,
Sorry for cross posting. We have published a recent review in Physiology that reveals a remarkable functional convergence in the way bats and toothed whales independently have evolved to echolocate with ultrasound.

Physiology. 2013 Sep;28(5):276-83. doi: 10.1152/physiol.00008.2013.
Functional convergence in bat and toothed whale biosonars.
Madsen PT<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Madsen%20PT%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=23997187>, Surlykke A<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Surlykke%20A%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=23997187>.
Abstract
Echolocating bats and toothed whales hunt and navigate by emission of sound pulses and analysis of returning echoes to form a self-generated auditory scene.
Here, we demonstrate a striking functional convergence in the way these two groups of mammals independently evolved the capability to sense with sound in air and water.

The paper can be found here:
http://physiologyonline.physiology.org/content/28/5/276.long

Or pdf request can be made to me peter.madsen at biology.au.dk<mailto:peter.madsen at biology.au.dk> or Annemarie Surlykke ams at biology.sdu.dk<mailto:ams at biology.sdu.dk>

Best
Peter

Peter T. Madsen
Zoophysiology, Department of Bioscience
Aarhus University, Build. 1131, CF Mollers Alle
8000 Aarhus C, Denmark

Phone: 0045 8715 6501
email: peter.madsen at biology.au.dk<mailto:peter.madsen at biology.au.dk>
Web: www.marinebioacoustics.com<http://www.marinebioacoustics.com>