[MARMAM] Vancouver Aquarium Veterinary Fellowship Opportunity
Human Resources Careers
careers at vanaqua.org
Thu Nov 21 12:12:00 PST 2013
105 - Vancouver Aquarium Veterinary Fellowship
Fixed Term Contract
37.5 Hours / Week
Stanley Park - Vancouver
Reporting to the Staff Veterinarian, the Veterinary Intern will assist the veterinary staff in providing medical management for a large captive display collection that includes marine mammals, terrestrial mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians and a large variety of native and tropical fish as well as approximately 150 live-stranded marine mammals (mostly harbour seals) which are cared for by the Vancouver Aquarium. This is a one-year position beginning in summer 2014 for a veterinarian interested in pursuing specialized training in aquatic animal medicine.
Responsible for providing medical management for the captive display collection and live stranded marine mammals by:
* Conducting veterinary duties such as examinations, blood sampling, parasite screening, diagnostic imaging, anesthesia, vaccinations and surgeries;
* Assisting in the development of the health management program, treatment regimens and emergency medical procedures;
* Taking responsibility for treatment of hospital cases;
* Keeping up to date records.
Assist the veterinary staff in providing a comprehensive animal health program to the Vancouver Aquarium by:
* Completing regular veterinary rounds;
* Conducting regular physical examinations;
* Managing and encouraging routine communication between the veterinary and staff/researchers.
Participates in post mortem examinations of stranded marine mammals under the supervision of a board-certified veterinary pathologist at the provincial Animal Health Centre.
Oversee veterinary externship program:
* Assist in the selection and scheduling of visiting externs, researchers, interns and residents;
* Mentor and teach visiting veterinary students (12-15 per year).
Complete and assist with research papers or case report by:
* Developing a research proposal;
* Taking samples for various research projects;
* Completing research paper for scientific publication.
Education and Experience
* DVM degree or equivalent;
* Previous marine mammal or wildlife experience is a plus;
* Individuals must be eligible for licensing in the Province of British Columbia;
* At least one year of clinical veterinary experience is required and a small animal internship is preferred.
* Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) and ability to work in a complex team;
* Ability to complete tasks and make sound decisions;
* Excellent problem solving skills; ability to think quickly under pressure and high stress;
* Strong organization skills (scheduling procedures, examinations, planning logistics for off-site procedures).
* Job involves constant attention while working with animals for personal safety and the safety of others;
* Exposure to animal bites, animal pathogens and chemicals;
* Requires lifting medical equipment;
* Requires ability to gain access to all animal holding areas some of which are difficult to enter and require ladders and walking on slippery surfaces;
* Requires working rotating shifts, weekends, and holidays and may be on call 24 hours per day.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates can submit their resume with cover letter on the Vancouver Aquarium Careers Homepage: https://rt11.ultipro.ca/VAN5001/JobBoard/ListJobs.aspx
CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING - THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE ADDRESSEE, IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION. ANY UNAUTHORIZED DISCLOSURE IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS MESSAGE IN ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY SO THAT WE MAY CORRECT OUR INTERNAL RECORDS. PLEASE THEN DELETE THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE. THANK YOU
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM