[MARMAM] Boat-based cetacean research Turks & Caicos - Volunteers needed!

Dominique Weilermann d.weilermann at live.de
Fri May 10 14:35:50 PDT 2013

Volunteers needed for
line-transect surveys around Turks & Caicos, Caribbean

We
are looking for volunteers on our research trips around the Turks and
Caicos Islands, Caribbean. Ocean Explorer is a Swiss
non-profit-organization, dedicated to the protection and conservation of marine
mammals and their natural environment. Since autumn 2012, the research
vessel “Ocean Breeze” launches a number of scientific projects in the
Caribbean Sea as well as Eastern Pacific Ocean. We conduct scientific research
in close collaboration with established institutions and regional conservation
organizations and projects are guided by experienced marine biologists. Ocean
Explorer is a certified member of the Reef Check Foundation and supports their
monitoring efforts.

Details:

We conduct
line-transect and acoustic surveys around the islands and we are strongly
involved in reef monitoring. Therefore, this is a great opportunity to gain experience in visual and acoustic cetacean surveying, photo-identification, behavioural observations and practical skills (sailing, photo-ID, coral reef health monitoring). During
lectures and joined discussions you learn more about the biology of marine
mammals and coral reef ecology. There will also be the opportunity to
visit nature reserves and wildlife parks on guided tours.

Travel
Dates:

1: 25.05. - 01.06.2013

2: 01.06. - 08.06.2013

3: 15.06. - 22.06.2013

4: 22.06. - 29.06.2013

Costs:

CHF: 1690.- (1380
Euro/ 1160 GBP)

Cost
include following:

-
Accommodation on board of Catamaran

- All
meals and non-alcoholic beverages

-
Unlimited diving and all equipment provided

-
Guidance from marine biologist and skipper (English and German speaking)

-
Use of research material as well as library on board

-
One guided excursion

Not
included: