[MARMAM] New publication on muscular senescence in cetaceans

Eva María Sierra Pulpillo esierra at becarios.ulpgc.es
Fri May 10 05:23:12 PDT 2013

Dear MARMAM subscribers:

 We are pleased to announce the publication of the following paper in Scientific Reports:

MUSCULAR SENESCENCE IN CETACEANS: ADAPTATION TOWARDS A SLOW MUSCLE FIBRE PHENOTYPE.

Sierra E[1], Fernández A[2], de Los Monteros AE[3], Arbelo M[4], de Quirós YB[5], Herráez P[6].

Department of Veterinary Pathology, Institute of Animal Health, Veterinary School, Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Trasmontaña S/N, 35416 Arucas, Las Palmas, Spain.

 Sci Rep. 2013 May 7;3:1795. doi: 10.1038/srep01795.

ABSTRACT:

Sarcopenia, or senile muscle atrophy, is the slow and progressive loss of muscle mass with advancing age that constitutes the most prevalent form of muscle atrophy. The effects of ageing on skeletal muscle have been extensively studied in humans and laboratory animals (mice), while the few reports on wild animals are based on short-lived mammals. The present study describes the age-related changes in cetacean muscles regarding the three factors that determine muscle mass: fibre size, fibre number, and fibre type. We show that the skeletal muscle fibres in cetaceans change with advancing age, evolving towards a slower muscle phenotype. We suggest that this physiological evolution constitutes an adaptation that allows these marine mammals to perform prolonged, deep dives.

Full text is available at: http://www.nature.com/srep/2013/130507/srep01795/full/srep01795.html

or alternatively, a pdf can be requested at: esierra at becarios.ulpgc.es

Best regards,

Eva Sierra

Laboratorio de Patología Molecular y Forense

Unit of Histology and Pathology
Instituto Universitario de Sanidad Animal y Seguridad Alimentaria (IUSA)
Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (ULPGC)
C/ Trasmontaña s/n
35413 Arucas (Las Palmas)
España

Vínculos: