[MARMAM] Volunteer bottlenose dolphin research assistant opportunity April-May, Cardigan Bay, UK

CBMWC info at cbmwc.org
Tue Mar 19 07:56:59 PDT 2013

Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre

New Quay

Wales

 <http://www.cbmwc.org/> www.cbmwc.org

Bottlenose dolphin research volunteer – position available for April-May

A volunteer position at the Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre (CBMWC) has
just become available for 17th April-14th May to collect data on the marine
wildlife of Cardigan Bay and to help run our visitor centre and educational
activities.

About CBMWC

The Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre is a non-profit organisation based
in New Quay, west Wales, UK and since 1996 has been dedicated to raising
awareness of the local marine environment through education and research.
Through boat-based and land-based surveys we monitor bottlenose dolphin,
harbour porpoise and Atlantic grey seal populations, with a focus on the
photo-identification of the semi-resident population of bottlenose dolphins
in the Cardigan Bay Special Area of Conservation (SAC).

Position description

Volunteers are required to help with our ongoing research, education and
awareness-raising programmes concerning the marine wildlife of Cardigan Bay.
CBMWC is almost entirely run by volunteers, so if you are successful in your
application, you will be an integral part of our team.

Volunteering at CBMWC is a fantastic opportunity for you to make a positive
contribution to marine wildlife conservation and meet new people who share
your interests. You will learn about the species and habitats in Cardigan
Bay, gain experience in field work, research methods, data processing,
public awareness and education programmes. The data you collect will
contribute to long running research studies on bottlenose dolphin site
usage, abundance, photo-identification and acoustic studies.

Responsibilities/duties will include (but are not limited to):

*          Visitor centre operation, including dealing with enquiries and
taking boat bookings

*          Land-based surveys in conjunction with Ceredigion County Council

*          Boat-based surveys*

*          Educational activities with children and the general public

*          Data entry and checking

*          Updating sightings information

*          Beach cleans

* Please note that boat surveys are weather dependent and volunteers take
turns to join trips to act as onboard researcher. During times of bad
weather, you will spend more time doing data entry and visitor centre work.

You will be expected to work up to 8 hours a days, six days a week. Field
work can involve long periods outdoors, in often inclement weather. All
volunteers are expected to contribute to all CBMWC activities, tasks and
field work and to attend all training sessions provided. As such, if you are
only looking to gain field experience, this is not the opportunity for you.

Essential skills

*          An interest in wildlife and conservation

*          Positive, reliable, conscientious and mature attitude

*          Ability to work as part of a small team

*          Strong work ethic with an ability to work unsupervised

*          Adaptable and patient (particularly as boat work is weather
dependent)

*          Confident in dealing with the public both face to face and over
the telephone

*          Fluency in English

*          Willing to ask for help if unsure and admit mistakes

Desirable skills

*          Interest and/or experience of working with children in
environmental education

*          Research and surveying experience

*          IT, photography/videography (own equipment required), design and
fundraising skills are useful but not essential

Please note that enthusiasm for our work and the marine environment is as
valued as experience, since full training is provided.

Volunteer fee

An administration fee of £35 will be required from all successful
applicants.

Accommodation and expense arrangements

Shared accommodation in a comfortable and fully equipped house will be
arranged for successful volunteers (where required) at a cost of £55 per
week, including fuel bills. Volunteers are responsible for their own food,
travel and accommodation costs.

How to apply

Download an application form from our website www.cbmwc.org/volunteer/,
complete it and email it to volunteer at cbmwc.org with ‘Volunteer application
2013’ in your subject line. Applicants must be able to commit to the entire
four weeks and please ensure before applying that you have sufficient money
to cover all your accommodation, food and travel expenses.

The closing date for applications is 5pm on Friday 29th March 2013.
Applicants will be notified on Monday 1st April. Please contact us if you do
not receive an acknowledgement after submitting your form as we have had
some emails go missing.

For further information

Visit www.cbmwc.org/

If you have any questions please email volunteer at cbmwc.org with an
appropriate subject line or call Laura on +44 (0)1545 560224.

Support our research - adopt a Cardigan Bay dolphin with the Cardigan Bay
Marine Wildlife Centre

Raise money for CBMWC with each internet search you do - it doesn't cost you
a penny http://sites.affilyon.co.uk/cbmwc

Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre

Patent Slip Building

Glanmor Terrace

New Quay

Ceredigion

SA45 9PS

Wales, UK

Ffon/Phone: 01545 560224

E-bost/E-mail:  <mailto:info at cbmwc.org> info at cbmwc.org

Website:  <http://www.cbmwc.org> www.cbmwc.org

For all the latest news and sightings information, please visit our website,
follow us on Twitter or become a fan of our Facebook page

www.cbmwc.org

http://twitter.com/CBMWC

http://facebook.com/CBMWC

Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre is supported by the Cardigan Bay Marine
Wildlife Group, a marine interest group of the Wildlife Trust of South and
West Wales.

Helping to conserve Cardigan Bay's marine wildlife through education,
interpretation and research

Helpu i warchod bywyd gwyllt morol Bae Ceredigion drwy addysg ac ymchwil

The contents of this email are confidential and are solely for the use of
the intended recipient. If you receive this email in error please delete it
and notify us either by email or telephone. It is prohibited to copy,
forward or otherwise disclose the contents of this email.