[MARMAM] Cetus Society Internship Opportunities British Columbia Canada

Cetus Research info at cetussociety.org
Thu Mar 7 15:23:50 PST 2013

       “*Through research, education and direct action, we work to *

*         protect species at risk and inspire others to do the same.”*

       For more information please visit our website
www.ProtectOurWhales.com <http://www.protectourwhales.com/>

Cetus is looking for enthusiastic and hard working individuals to fill the
following unpaid internship positions:

·         *Straitwatch Educator Internships*

·         *Warden Program Internships** *

Internship positions will be based out of Victoria and/or Alert Bay (Boat
Bay) British Columbia, Canada. Positions will be offered between May and
October  2013. A commitment of at least two months is required. Preference
will be given to applicants who are able to commit to longer. Successful
applicants may have the opportunity to split their time between the two
(North and South Island) locations.

Successful applicants will have the opportunity to be involved with a
variety of possible tasks ranging from community outreach and education to
marine mammal response and fundraising initiatives. Our programs focus on
protecting British Columbia’s marine mammal populations and encouraging
others to do the same. Interns may also have the opportunity to spend time
on our monitoring vessels in which case they will participate in data
collection, data entry and on-the-water boater education.

*Responsibilities include: *

   - Educating boaters, kayakers, park visitors, and members of the public
   about the marine mammal viewing guidelines, marine species at risk, the
   conservation issues they face and the boundaries of the Robson Bight
   (Michael Bigg) Ecological Reserve.
   - Collecting and entering data on marine mammals and vessel activity.
   - Public interpretation in the form of dock talks and participation in
   community events.
   - Potentially helping to respond to injured, sick or dead marine mammals
   in support of the BC Marine Mammal Response Network.
   - Observing and recording cetaceans in support of the BC Cetacean
   Sightings Network.
   - Helping to organize and carry out fundraising initiatives.
   - Assisting with general administrative duties. * *

*What skills and experience will interns gain?: *

   - Experience educating the public on important conservation issues.
   - Experience with data collection.
   - Interpretive skills and techniques
   - Potential for experience in marine mammal response.
   - Experience with fundraising and community outreach.
   - Experience working with Microsoft Access.

*Essential Requirements: *

   - Fluent spoken English
   - Interest in marine wildlife and conservation.
   - Flexibility
   - Ability to work long hours outdoors.

*Additional Information: *These positions are unpaid and carry a cost to
the interns of $50/ week for Staitwatch, to cover administrative costs and
$125/ week for the warden program, to cover accommodations, extra fuel and
dinners (Warden Interns will be responsible for their own breakfasts and
lunches). Interns are also responsible for all living costs while working
with the Straitwatch programs. We are happy to help applicants find
accommodations in both Victoria and Alert Bay if assistance is required.

*How to apply: *Please forward your cover letter, resume and two references
via *email* by *April 14, 2013*.  Please indicate your availability and
location preference. Only successful applicants will be contacted.

Contact: Leah Thorpe

Cetus Research & Conservation Society

Email: info at cetussociety.org