[MARMAM] Robson Bight Marine Warden - Employment Opportunity
info at cetussociety.org
Thu Mar 7 15:20:41 PST 2013
“*Through research, education and direct action, we work to *
* protect species at risk and inspire others to do the same.”*
For more information please visit our website
Cetus is seeking to fill the following positions:
· *Robson Bight Marine Warden (Vessel Operator/Research Observer) -
Alert Bay/Boat Bay British Columbia, Canada.*
*Responsibilities include: *
- Educating boaters, kayakers, and park visitors about the marine mammal
viewing guidelines, marine species at risk, the conservation issues they
face and the boundaries of the Robson Bight (Michael Bigg) Ecological
- Collecting and entering data on marine mammals and vessel activity.
- Public presentations: either as informal, individual interpretations
or scheduled, formal community presentations.
- Supervising volunteers and interns and involving them in the daily
responsibilities of the program while ensuring a safe & productive work
- Responding to injured, sick or dead marine mammals in support of the
BC Marine Mammal Response Network.
- Observing and recording cetaceans in support of the BC Cetacean
*Knowledge, skill and ability required: *
- The ability to safely operate 16-18ft rigid hull inflatable vessel in
coastal waters, including rough waters with limited visibility.
- The ability to multi-task and work in a fast paced, quickly changing
- The ability to work for 8-11 hour shifts in all weather conditions.
- Willingness to work flexible shifts, including weekends and holidays.
- Effective communications skills.
- The ability to record and observe data and enter into a database.
- The ability to be observant and timely with attention to detail.
- The ability to live and work comfortably in a coastal wilderness
- Demonstrated background knowledge of marine mammal species in the area
and current marine conservation issues and a passion for conservation.
- The physical ability to carry 20 lbs of gear to and from the vessel
(this varies from across the street to down a rocky shoreline). Robson
Bight Marine Wardens are required to hike 5 km (each way) from the base
camp to the observation site regularly.
- Knowledge of boat maintenance and repair (preferred).
· A current BC drivers licence
· A current Marine First Aid and CPR ticket
· A Marine Radio Operators license (ROC-M)
· A Marine Emergency Duties A3 certificate
· A Small Commercial Vessel Operators Proficiency Certificate
There are two positions available. Both are seasonal with contract dates
from June 24th to September 2nd.
Please forward your cover letter, resume and two references via
*email* by *April
14, 2013*. Only successful applicants will be contacted.
Contact: Leah Thorpe
Cetus Research & Conservation Society
Email:* * info at cetussociety.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM