[MARMAM] Call for papers: MEPS Theme Section on Marine Mammals and Ecosystem Functioning

Peter Corkeron - NOAA Federal peter.corkeron at noaa.gov
Fri Jun 21 07:53:17 PDT 2013

Fellow MARMAMers

I'm pleased to announce the call for papers for a Theme Section in
Marine Ecology Progress Series on a topic that will be of interest to
some.
---------------
Marine Mammals and Ecosystem Functioning

What roles do marine mammals play in marine ecosystems? How have
anthropogenic perturbations to marine systems affected these roles? We
seek contributions for a MEPS Theme Section exploring ideas on “Marine
Mammals and Ecosystem Functioning”. Contributions could be reviews or
data papers. They could explore top-down processes: e.g., iron or
nitrogen fertilization; cultivation grazing; trophic cascades, or
bottom-up – the influence of oceanographic processes (at whatever
spatiotemporal scale) on marine mammals' ecology. We are also
interested in marine mammals' roles in non-lethal ecosystem-level
effects of predation threat - their roles as predators, prey, or both.
Given historical and ongoing anthropogenic influences on marine
mammals' ecology, papers could address the relationships (top-down,
bottom-up or both) between marine mammals, marine ecosystem function,
and human activities. These could include, for example, the influence
of fisheries as food provisioning on marine mammals' behavioral
ecology and/or population biology; relationships between system
simplification and resilience; or the role of refugia. Inference could
be drawn from modeling, experiment, “natural experiment”, observation,
scholarship or any combination of these.

Be aware that our review process will be strict, with a likely
rejection rate in line with that of most MEPS submissions (>50%).
Please realize, too, that our focus is on multi-species, large-scale,
long-term datasets having general ecological relevance and that we're
really not looking for single-species, single season, single location
foraging studies. In order to facilitate the review process, we're
asking people to send a 300-word abstract of intended papers to Peter
Corkeron (peter.corkeron at noaa.gov). Our aim is to have papers out to
review by late this year.

Marine Ecology Progress Series already publishes substantive work on
the ecosystem role of marine mammals. The aim of this Theme Section is
to unite a coherent body of work summarizing the current state of this
area of science, so that we, as practitioners, can understand where we
are, and where we need to go.

Peter Corkeron: peter.corkeron at noaa.gov
Lyne Morissette: lyne.morissette at globetrotter.net
and