[MARMAM] Volunteer field assistant oportunity - Right Whales in Southern Brazil

silvana bottini silbottini at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 06:16:59 PDT 2013

*Field assistants needed for research on right whales in Torres, South
Brazil*

*Overview:  *We are seeking experienced field assistants to help students
during winter/ spring season with land-based technique of behavioral
observations on right whales, in Torres, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil.

*Project title:* “Habitat use and fine-scale movement patterns of
southern-right-whale, *Eubalaena australis,* (Desmoulins, 1822) in Torres,
southern Brazil”.

*Fieldwork dates: *Volunteers are needed from 1st August to 30th September.

*Project aim:* provide baseline information on the ecology, habitat use and
social structure of right whales in Torres, in South Brazil. This research
is part of a master study, lead by Ecology and Systematics of Sea Birds and
Marine Mammals Lab at the Biological Sciences Institute, of Universidade
Federal do Rio Grande do Sul.

*Duties: *Searching for whales, theodolite operating, recording field
observations, equipment cleaning and data entry.

*Expectations: *Field assistants need to be adaptable and patient as
weather is highly dependent. We will be committed to go sampling everyday
whenever weather allows us. If not, we’ll be working in data entry.

*Prerequisites:*

- Experience of field research on land-based technique (highly desirable);

- Possess basic computer skills including MS Excel;

 - Enrolled in or completed a degree in biology, marine science, animal
behaviour or a related field (desirable);

 - Be team-oriented, patient, and have an enthusiastic attitude to hard
work and collecting data on the natural environment (essential);

This is an opportunity to gain experience in land based techniques research
and contribute to a project with high conservation and management value.

 Unfortunately, we are unable to provide monetary compensation. Assistants
will be responsible for their own travel to Porto Alegre, South Brazil, and
will have to pay for their own accommodation and food (around US$ 200,00/
month). We’ll share house duties including cooking and cleaning.

** Commitment to the full duration of this time will be highly favoured.*

*Interested please send a CV, a brief covering letter outlining your
relevant experience, and contact details. This information must be sent in
an e-mail with the subject ‘Field assistant’ before 25th July 2013 to **
silbottini at gmail.com* <silbottini at gmail.com>*.*