[MARMAM] Seal Pup Internship Vacancy
iwncc at aol.com
Tue Jul 23 12:27:03 PDT 2013
Two Harbour Seal Internship Vacancies
Island Wildlife Natural Care Centre is a registered not-for-profit marine mammal rescue and rehabilitation facility operating under permits from the Department of Fisheries & Oceans, the Ministry of Environment and Environment Canada. Located in the Pacific Northwest, on Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada, Island Wildlife specializes in the care of up to 100 seal pups (and occasionally other species of marine mammals) each year. We also provide rescue services and temporary emergency care for other species of indigenous wildlife (avian and terrestrial mammals).
We have two internships left to fill. The dates of the internships areAugust 21 thru October 31 andSeptember 1 thru October 31.
Internships are voluntary positions and candidates are responsible for their own transportation to and from British Columbia and for their own expenses during their internship (i.e. travel, food, entertainment). We provide shared sleeping cabins (including bedding), and a communal kitchen (including all cooking utensils) and bathrooms, as well as wireless internet and use of a shared vehicle. There is no cost for accommodation.
Interns will work directly under our marine mammal specialists and can expect to learn or improve skills in the following:
- Safe handling and restraint of Harbour Seal pups
- Assisting in stabilizing critical patients and new arrivals
- Food preparation through all stages of rehabilitation
- Gavage (tube) feeding, force feeding and hand feeding techniques
- Proper hygiene and isolation protocols to prevent the spread of disease
- Administration of oral medications
- Behavioral and medical observation and proper record keeping
- Assisting with the rescue hotline, transporting patients and public interface
- Interns may also take part in rescues and releases may assist with diagnostic work such as x-rays and microscopic exams
- General care of many other indigenous avian and mammalian species
Interns are accepted internationally. Internships are open to students and non-students with an educational background in the animal sciences or veterinary medicine (including vet techs and AHTs). Candidates must be able to work well in a team, possess a strong work ethic and be willing to work long hours during our busiest months (a work day can be up to 10 hours during peak “pupping” season).
To apply please e-mail your resume to <iwncc at aol.com>
For more information on Island Wildlife go to www.sealrescue.org andwww.Facebook.com/sealrescue
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM