[MARMAM] The Marine Mammal Center is recruiting for a Veterinary Technician
GroningerH at TMMC.org
Thu Jan 31 13:52:13 PST 2013
Announcing an employment opportunity at The Marine Mammal Center. This listing can also be found on our website here: http://www.marinemammalcenter.org/about-us/organization-information/jobs/
The Marine Mammal Center, an equal opportunity, non-profit employer, is seeking a Veterinary Technician to join our team. The Marine Mammal Center's mission is to expand knowledge about marine mammals-their health and that of their ocean environment-and to inspire their global conservation. Our core work is the rescue and rehabilitation of sick and injured marine mammals, supported by state-of-the-art animal care and research facilities, a corps of dedicated volunteers, and an engaged community.
Reporting to the Director of Veterinary Science, the Veterinary Technician is a full-time, non-exempt position with competitive benefits. The Veterinary Technician supports the work of the Veterinary Science Department. They are responsible for the assessment of the patients and routine procedures, which includes physical exams, surgical assistance, processing and collecting biological samples, and supporting research projects. They need to communicate clearly with the Veterinarians, volunteers, and other Marine Mammal Center personnel to ensure the animals receive the care they need. The Veterinary Technicians provide training, supervision, and leadership for the volunteer animal care team, visiting Veterinary Students, and the Veterinary Technician Interns. The Veterinary Technicians work with a diverse group of people at The Marine Mammal Center, which require the ability to be flexible in the face of varying situations.
Core Competencies -- Knowledge and Skills:
* Must possess strong interpersonal skills
* Demonstrated leadership
* Demonstrated good decision-making
* Maintain high standards of patient care
* Respond calmly and quickly to emergency and crisis situations
* Demonstrated knowledge of marine mammal anatomy
* Demonstrated ability to prepare and collect biological samples
* Ability to record and manage the animal care records
* Ability to safely and competently operate equipment pertinent to carrying out their duties, including but not limited to anesthesia, digital x-ray machines, and lab equipment
* Ability to work closely with wild animals, which requires physical strength, dexterity and reflexes to keep themselves and other personnel around them safe
* Ability to travel to satellite facilities and must work on rotating shifts and weekends
* Basic computer literacy. Advanced data management skills desired
* Update and maintain animal charts
* Complete routine exams; including obtaining blood samples
* Provide surgical assistance to veterinarians
* Order and maintain medical supplies
* Order surgery equipment and maintain surgery suite
* Restock medical and husbandry supplies
* Maintain controlled drug log
* Administer injectable and gas anesthesia, and monitor animals under anesthesia
* Instruct classes on Basic Animal Husbandry, Basic Medical Procedures, and Advanced Medical Procedures
* California State License for Veterinary Technicians or Equivalent (from another state) and ability to obtain CA License within one year
* 1 year of clinical veterinary technician/assistant experience
* Valid California Driver's license
Please send a cover letter and resume attention Human Resources Director & IT Manager to admin at tmmc.org<mailto:admin at tmmc.org>. Please put "Veterinary Technician" in the subject line. Deadline for applications is February 15, 2013. Please no phone calls or faxed submissions.
Human Resources Director and IT Manager
The Marine Mammal Center
2000 Bunker Road
Sausalito, CA 94965
groningerh at tmmc.org<mailto:groningerh at tmmc.org>
[cid:image001.jpg at 01CDFFB4.F56E38D0]
Adopt a past patient like Garnett and you'll give future patients a second chance at life. Adopt-a-Seal today<http://www.marinemammalcenter.org/Get-Involved/adopt-a-seal/>!
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 1938 bytes
More information about the MARMAM