[MARMAM] Job Announcement
kathleens at alaskasealife.org
Tue Jan 29 17:28:38 PST 2013
*The Alaska SeaLife Center generates and shares scientific knowledge to
promote understanding and stewardship of Alaska’s marine ecosystems
and**is seeking applications for the following:
*Research Associate – Steller Sea Lion*
This position is responsible for assisting lead scientists in conducting
research projects at the Alaska SeaLife Center.
*Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):*
1. Independently manages, or assists lead scientist on designated
research projects including developing project plans and managing budgets
2. Works directly with internal and external collaborators under
direction of the Principle Investigator including coordinating research
trials, preparing supplies, scheduling staff, and ensuring preparedness to
3. Assists in sampling captive animals, assists or leads in the
processing of samples and tracks the disposition of samples. Conducts
laboratory experiments, such as tissue extractions, immunoassays, clinical
hematology and blood chemistries.
4. Conducts field and/or laboratory based research activities that may
include arranging logistics, supervising field or laboratory staff in the
absence of the lead scientist, and reporting to the lead scientist
regularly on the status of the project.
5. Provides coordination of facility use and services for research
projects relating to the pinniped program.
6. Assists in the development of processing protocols, processing
samples, and tutoring technician staff, interns, volunteers and graduate
students in laboratory procedures and techniques.
7. Supervises personnel matters for the research technicians, interns,
volunteers and graduate students. Assigns and checks work, establishes
schedules, sets deadlines, and delegates authority. Sets performance
standards for staff. Prepares annual performance evaluations. Makes
personnel related recommendations to the Program Manager.
8. Ensures Research Technicians are properly trained and equipped for
their assigned tasks, and conducts or arranges for training as necessary to
carry out the Department’s objectives.
9. Assists in drafting reports and scientific publications and takes a
lead role on reports and publications as assigned.
10. Keeps proper records in accordance with the ASLC and permit
11. Manages the procurement, inventory, and maintenance of facilities,
equipment and supplies to be used in research projects Performs data entry
and analysis as requested.
12. Prepares and updates posters and graphic presentations.
13. Prepares and presents public presentations.
14. Designs observations and data collection systems and carries out
scientific data collection and statistical analysis of data collected.
Master’s degree in marine biology, zoology or related field. Research
experience specific to pinnipeds is preferred. Experience conducting
laboratory experiments, such as tissue extractions, immunoassays, and
clinical hematology and blood chemistry is preferred. Excellent laboratory
technique and protocol adherence is required. Two years of experience
coordinating and conducting field research on vessels and at remote
locations is required. Experience with equipment procurement, inventory
and maintenance required. Experience with writing reports, grants, and
preparing manuscripts is preferred. An equivalent combination of education
and experience will be accepted.
*Start Date: February 15, 2013*
*Apply by: January 31, 2013*
Send resume & application (downloadable at www.alaskasealife.org) to
HR at alaskasealife.org, or to Human Resources, Alaska SeaLife Center, P. O.
Box 1329, Seward, AK 99664-1329, or fax 907-224-6320.
*Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer*
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM