[MARMAM] Job: HARBOUR SEAL REHABILITATOR

phocid at aol.com phocid at aol.com
Tue Jan 15 12:28:27 PST 2013

HarbourSeal Rehabilitator

IslandWildlife Natural Care Centre is a registered not-for-profit marine mammalrescue and rehabilitation facility operating under permits from the Departmentof Fisheries & Oceans, the Ministry of Environment and Environment Canada.  Located in the Pacific Northwest, onSalt Spring Island, BC, Canada, Island Wildlife specializes in the rescue andcare of up to 100 seal pups (and occasionally other species of marine mammals)each year.  We also provide rescueservices and temporary emergency care for other species of indigenous wildlife(avian and terrestrial mammals).

IWNCCis seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Harbour SealRehabilitator.

Thisposition reports to the manager of marine mammal care and will assist withrescues both in person and through a network of volunteers; with examinationsand critical care; daily animal husbandry; diagnostics; overseeing interns andvolunteers; keeping detailed records; and will also assist in the rescue andemergency care of non-marine mammal species.  During our peak months the work is extremely fast-paced andphysically demanding, much of it outdoors throughout our 4-acre property.

Thesuccessful candidate must have a minimum of three years hands-on marine mammalrehabilitation experience and at least one year of experience with avian andterrestrial mammals.  The candidatemust be experienced in all phases of the rehabilitation process includinganimal handling, examinations, critical care, food preparation, administeringmedications; and must have excellent English language skills and be physicallyfit.  Preference will be given toCanadian applicants.  Due to thecomplex nature of rescues, a familiarity with our region is desirable.

This is a full-timeseasonal position from May 1 until December 31, 2013 with the possibility of an extension into the 2014season.  Salary is $2,500 per monthplus simple housing (housing is scarce on Salt Spring Island and small butcomfortable on-site accommodation will be provided as a part of the wagepackage).

Pleasemail your CV, covering letter and references to:  J. Ballerone, Director, Island Wildlife Natural Care Centre,322 Langs Road, Salt Spring Island, BC Canada  V8K 1N3.  Or email to iwncc at aol.com.

Formore information regarding Island Wildlife visit us at www.sealrescue.org and www.Facebook.com/sealrescue