[MARMAM] SEAL PUP INTERNSHIPS
phocid at aol.com
phocid at aol.com
Tue Jan 15 12:26:44 PST 2013
HarbourSeal Pup Rehabilitation Internships
IslandWildlife Natural Care Centre is a registered not-for-profit marine mammalrescue and rehabilitation facility operating under permits from the Departmentof Fisheries & Oceans, the Ministry of Environment and EnvironmentCanada. Located in the PacificNorthwest, on Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada, Island Wildlife specializes inthe care of up to 100 seal pups (and occasionally other species of marinemammals) each year. We alsoprovide rescue services and temporary emergency care for other species ofindigenous wildlife (avian and terrestrial mammals).
We areinviting applications for 12 summer and fall internship positions working withour Harbour Seal pup patients. Internships run for a minimum of 2 months toa maximum of 3 months, from June 1 through October 31.
Internshipsare voluntary positions and candidates are responsible for their owntransportation to and from British Columbia and for their own expenses duringtheir internship (i.e. travel, food, entertainment). We provide shared sleepingcabins (including bedding), and a communal kitchen (including all cookingutensils) and bathrooms, as well as wireless internet and use of a sharedvehicle. There is no cost foraccommodation.
Interns willwork directly under our marine mammal specialists and can expect to learn orimprove skills in the following:
- Safehandling and restraint of Harbour Seal pups
- Assisting instabilizing critical patients and new arrivals
- Foodpreparation through all stages of rehabilitation
- Gavage(tube) feeding, force feeding and hand feeding techniques
- Properhygiene and isolation protocols to prevent the spread of disease
-Administration of oral medications
- Behavioraland medical observation and proper record keeping
- Assistingwith the rescue hotline, transporting patients and public interface
- Interns mayalso take part in rescues and releases may assist with diagnostic work such asx-rays and microscopic exams
- General careof many other indigenous avian and mammalian species
Interns areaccepted internationally. Preference will be given to candidates with past hands-on marine mammalsexperience, but other wildlife experience will also be considered. Internshipsare open to students and non-students with an educational background in theanimal sciences or veterinary medicine (including vet techs and AHTs). Candidates must be able to work well ina team, possess a strong work ethic and be willing to work long hours duringour busiest months (a work day can be up to 10 hours during peak “pupping”season).
Deadline for applicationsis March 1, 2013. To apply, pleasefollow instructions found on our website at www.sealrescue.orgunder “Internships”. Formore information visit us at www.sealrescue.organd www.Facebook.com/sealrescue
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM