[MARMAM] World Whale Conference Summary Report now available

Dylan Walker dylan at planetwhale.com
Tue Jan 8 14:03:19 PST 2013

Dear Marmamers,

We are pleased to announce that a full report on the recent World Whale
Conference (25-26 October 2012) is now available. The conference was
attended by delegates representing the NGO sector, whale watching industry,
private enterprise, and the general public from across Europe, USA, Canada,
New Zealand, Japan, and beyond. The World Whale Conference met to discuss
and agree the development of a new global partnership of stakeholders
working with and for whales and dolphins. It aims to empower the widest
possible community in actively bringing about change that will benefit
cetaceans and their habitats worldwide.

Delegates gathered to discuss two questions:

   1. How can we achieve more to protect whales & dolphins by working
   together?
   2. Could a focus on the places where whales most need our help (Areas of
   Concern) be the catalyst?

Discussions focused on the development of a free collaborative mapping tool
available to everybody online. This tool will enable stakeholders from
around the world to identify their ‘Areas of Concern’ for cetaceans. These
'Areas' would then be linked to communities willing to work in partnership
to solve the issues affecting cetaceans in those locations. The conference
delegates agreed to continue to develop the concept of the mapping outreach
tool, and identified three location-based issues to focus upon as an urgent
priority in the 12 months leading to the Second World Whale Conference.

For a full summary of the conference please follow this link.

http://www.savethewhalesreloaded.org/?page_id=347

For further information please contact dylan at planetwhale.com

Regards

*Dylan Walker
*
co-founder Planet Whale & WhaleFest

www.planetwhale.com
www.whale-fest.com
mob/cell: +44 (0)7900 471490
 <%2B44%20%280%297775%20871953>
office: +44 (0)1273 355011
skype: planet.whale

*together we are the global voice for whales and dolphins*