[MARMAM] Use of dolphins as shark bait and marine bushmeat

Sarah Baulch sarahbaulch at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 21 03:35:08 PST 2013

Dear colleagues,

I am compiling information on two issues:

1. The use of dolphins as bait in shark fisheries.

2. "Marine bushmeat”  – directed hunts of cetaceans for consumption that are poorly documented, unregulated and often occur in remote, poorly studied areas.

This work is being undertaken to update the information currently available on these activities. I would be very grateful if you could contact me if you have any recent information on either of these, in particular locations where it is occurring and any indications of the species and numbers of cetaceans being used.

Please contact me at sarahbaulch at eia-international.org

Many thanks,

Sarah Baulch