[MARMAM] Seal Species Identification in Guinea Gulf

Joana Hancock joana.hancock at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 16:03:51 PST 2013

Dear list members,

A few weeks ago I posted a request for help in identifying seal that was
sighetd at São Tomé and Príncipe islands, Guinea Gulf a couple of months
ago.

Many people in the list provided many interesting insights (thank
you!!!), but so far, there is no consensus on the species sighted,
therefore I have uploaded a couple of videos on YOU TUBE.

If you have the time, your input would be very useful:

http://youtu.be/f7gqJuVaty4
http://youtu.be/GP5SatOueiA

Please note that the rope around the animal's neck and flipper on the
first video are ropes that were attached to the animal to restrain it,
and were placed by the locals. Also in this video, the animal was
apparently just "scratching" in the sand, after someone poured water
over it.

The animal was soon (after much discussion!) released from them, but yet
remained on the beach for a while. The animal seemed very comfortable
around people, and even ate some fish that someone threw at it.

Any new ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Joana