[MARMAM] Open position: marine mammals and underwater noise

Jakob Tougaard jat at dmu.dk
Mon Feb 4 13:37:38 PST 2013

Dear colleagues,

We are very happy to invite applications for a position on effects of underwater noise on marine ecosystems in Danish and Arctic areas. It is a 4 year position at post-doc level, with perspectives for further employment beyond that. Potential applicants are encouraged to contact me for further information. The group and the department is an internationally oriented environment and we highly welcome qualified applications from abroad.
Link to the call and application forms is: http://www.au.dk/stillinger/nat/vip/, look for "Researcher - Underwater Noise". Deadline for applications is Feb. 27, 2013.

Best regards

Jakob Tougaard

******************************
Jakob Tougaard, Ph.D.
Senior Scientist
Department of Bioscience
Aarhus University
Frederiksborgvej 399
P.O. box 358
DK-4000 Roskilde
Denmark
Phone +45 8715 8706
Mobile +45 4098 4585
Fax +45 8715 5015
E-mail: jat at dmu.dk<mailto:jat at dmu.dk>
Skype: Jakob.Tougaard
Homepage: www.dmu.dk<http://www.dmu.dk/>
CV/VAT: 10859387, EAN: 5798000419988

Researcher - underwater noise: Aarhus University in Roskilde, Denmark

At the Department of Bioscience, Aarhus University in Roskilde, Denmark, we are seeking an employee to manage primarily research-based advisory on biological effects of underwater noise. The advisory is primarily for the Governments of Greenland and Denmark and pertains to regulation of noise from for example oil exploration, vessel noise and sonar. Among your duties will be contributions to and evaluations of Environmental Impact Assessments, guidelines and technical advice, as well as planning and participation in monitoring programs. Besides you will be part of the institute's remaining research and advisory activities regarding marine mammals. The advisory regarding Greenland will be in close collaboration with the Greenland Institute of Natural Resources; however you will be based in Denmark.

We wish to fill this position with a biologist, engineer or the like with experience in underwater acoustics, hearing physiology and bioacoustical problems. It is expected that applicants have solid experience with general acoustics and has - or within short time can obtain - comprehensive knowledge of the necessary background regarding hearing in marine organisms, underwater acoustics, and effects of underwater noise on marine organisms including behavioral changes.

The Department of Bioscience is an active and internationally oriented professional environment within marine mammals (Danish and Arctic) and environmental effects of oil and mineral activities. We are the prime advisors for the Greenland Bureau of Minerals and Petroleum, the Greenland Government, regarding oil exploration and mineral activities and we are the prime advisors for the Danish Nature Agency, the Danish Government, regarding management of marine mammals in Denmark. Besides we advise a suit of authorities and private companies in Denmark and abroad within a wide range of management related problems regarding marine mammals and underwater noise.

It will be a great advantage if you speak and write Danish, but it is not a precondition. To be hired as a researcher it is a prerequisite that you hold a Ph.D. Workplace is Roskilde, Denmark. The position is a four year vacancy. For more information, please contact Jakob Tougaard (phone +45 40984585) or Anders Mosbech (phone +45 87158686).

Formalities and salary range

The Faculty of Science refers to the Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Danish Universities under the Danish Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation<http://www.au.dk/en/rules/2008/bek284>.

Further information on qualification requirements and job content may be found in the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Danish Universities<http://www.au.dk/en/rules/2006/vtu1>.

The application must be in English and include a curriculum vitae, degree certificate, a complete list of publications, a statement of future research plans and information about research activities, teaching portfolio and verified information on previous teaching experience (if any). The recommended level of detail<http://science.au.dk/en/positions-and-fellowships/academic-positions/rules-and-instructions/curriculum-vitae-for-applications-for-scientific-positions/>.

Salary depends on seniority as agreed between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Confederation of Professional Unions.

Deadline

All applications must be made online and received by:

27/02/2013