[MARMAM] Research internship at The Marine Mammal Center in Sausalito, CA
rustl at TMMC.org
Tue Dec 31 10:13:23 PST 2013
I'd like to post the following internship to the MARMAM listserv. Thank you.
Veterinary Science Research Internship Announcement
The Marine Mammal Center (TMMC) is a non-profit hospital dedicated to the rescue, rehabilitation, and release of sick, injured or orphaned marine mammals. Also integral to the Center's mission are the research and education programs that expand our knowledge of marine mammals, and their ocean environment, and inspire global conservation. Since 1975, TMMC volunteers and staff have responded to more than 18,000 stranded pinnipeds, cetaceans, and sea otters along California's central coast. For more information about TMMC, please visit: www.marinemammalcenter.org.
The Veterinary Science Department at TMMC is seeking applicants for a volunteer internship position in our research division. There is flexibility on the start date of this position, but we are looking for at least a 10 week commitment between April 1, 2014 and July 1, 2014. The successful candidate will participate in the following projects:
1) Assist with necropsies: Necropsies are performed on all animals that die during treatment at the center. Depending on the case, some necropsies require a significant amount of sampling. Primary responsibilities will include: assisting with necropsy sample collection, data collection, archiving samples, and clean up.
2) Marine mammal health map project: The goal of this project is to develop a web-based national marine mammal health tracking program that will allow detection of spatial and temporal changes in marine mammal health. Intern duties associated with this project will primarily include: retrospective surveys of hardcopy patient records to assign broad disease categories, comprehensive literature review of marine mammal health and disease studies, and geospatial data quality control.
3) Specimen archive project: This project will focus on tracking and optimizing the storage of archived specimens collected from live and dead marine mammals. Intern duties will primarily include: freezer inventory and electronic data entry.
4) Library project: This project involves cataloging scientific publications into TMMC's hardcopy and electronic libraries. Intern duties will primarily include: reference entry using EndNote X, restocking hardcopy reprints, and scanning hardcopy publications.
5) Animal crew: The selected intern will spend one day on an animal crew. Animal crew's duties include feeding the patients, cleaning the pens, restraining animals for feeds and/or procedures. Training is provided.
In addition, the intern will assist with other duties within the Veterinary Science Department as needed, such as data entry, filing paperwork, rescues, releases, and the care of stranded marine mammal patients.
Applicants would ideally have the following qualifications:
* Minimum of 21 years of age and engaged in or recently completed undergraduate studies;
* A background or degree in Biology, Marine Biology, Ecology, Zoology or a related field;
* Basic computer proficiency, especially with Microsoft Office Suite;
* Comfortable hiking 5 miles and lifting 50 lbs; and
* A willingness to spend a minimum of 10 weeks working full time (40 hours per week) as a volunteer with our program.
There is no compensation for this internship position, and the successful applicant will be responsible for their own living and transportation expenses during the time of the internship.
This internship takes place at TMMC's main hospital in the Marin Headlands near Sausalito, CA.
The following application material is required and should be submitted electronically (PDF or Word document attachments) to Lauren Rust, rustl at tmmc.org by February 15, 2014 at 12am PST.
1. Statement of Interest (no more than two pages, double spaced) that describes: a) your professional interests and career goals, b) your reasons for applying for this internship, c) why you should be selected for this internship, and d) your availability and plan for housing.
2. College transcript(s) (official or unofficial copy) with all college-level courses you have taken to-date and the grades you have received. Please include an explanation of grading scales not on a 4.0 scale.
3. One letter of recommendation from an individual capable of commenting on your academic qualifications and, if possible, research skills. College or university faculty or research advisors preferred. Letters of recommendation MUST be sent directly from the person writing the letter, preferably via email (as an attachment or in the body of the email).
4. Resume or curriculum vitae (no more than two pages) describing any relevant jobs, internships, volunteer work, scholarships and/or other activities that you have held or participated in and other skills or accomplishments that you wish to identify.
If email submission is not possible, application material can be faxed to (415) 754-4078 (Attn: Lauren Rust) or mailed to: The Marine Mammal Center, 2000 Bunker Road, Marin Headlands, Sausalito, CA 94965 (Attn: Lauren Rust). It is the responsibility of the applicant that all required material is submitted by the deadline.
If the intern intends to receive university credit for their internship, they are responsible for making all arrangements with their educational institution.
Lauren B. Rust
The Marine Mammal Center
2000 Bunker Rd l Sausalito, CA 94965
T: 415.289.7328 I C: 843.991.6953
Rustl at tmmc.org<mailto:Rustl at tmmc.org>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM