[MARMAM] New paper on bottlenose dolphin at São Tomé Island, São Tomé and Príncipe, Gulf of Guinea

Andreia Pereira andreiafspereira at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 09:34:43 PST 2013

Dear colleagues,
On behalf of myself and my co-authors, I would like to announce the
publication of a new paper:

"Bottlenose dolphin *Tursiops truncatus* at São Tomé Island (São Tomé and
Príncipe) — relative abundance, site fidelity and social structure"

A Pereira, F Martinho, C Brito & I Carvalho
African Journal of Marine Science 35(4):501-510
DOI: 10.2989/1814232X.2013.850444

Abstract
Although the bottlenose dolphin *Tursiops truncatus* is one of the most
common cetacean species around São Tomé Island, Gulf of Guinea, little
research has focused on this species in this region. This study
investigated the population of bottlenose dolphins around São Tomé Island
by estimating the minimum population size, site fidelity and social
structure. During a total of 226 surveys between 2002 and 2006, and in
2012, 51 sightings were recorded but only 33 had photographic data suitable
for rigorous analysis. The minimum annual total population size, based on
permanently marked dolphins, was 37 individuals, and the discovery curve
indicated that a large part of the population remained undiscovered. The
annual sighting rate for 76 highly distinctive adult animals ranged from
0.20 (seen in one year only) to 1.0 (seen every year of the study period).
Resighted individuals demonstrated low association values; the dolphins
seemed to form a single group with a fluid structure.

The full article can be found online at:
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.2989/1814232X.2013.850444#.UrQyeSfnQ8K

Please contact me if you do not have access to the article and would like
to have a copy: andreiafspereira at gmail.com

Kind regards and happy holidays,
Andreia Pereira

Andreia Pereira
Conservation Biology M.Sc
Faculty of Sciences, University of Lisbon