[MARMAM] Bottlenose dolphin research volunteer opportunity 2014, Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre, UK

CBMWC info at cbmwc.org
Mon Dec 2 07:46:10 PST 2013

WTSWW_high_res_logoCBMWC logo without boarderCardigan Bay Marine Wildlife
Centre

New Quay

Wales

 <http://www.cbmwc.org/> www.cbmwc.org

Bottlenose dolphin research volunteers

Dedicated to conserving Cardigan Bay’s marine wildlife through education and
research

Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre (CBMWC) is recruiting volunteers for the
2014 season (March to November) to collect data on the marine wildlife of
Cardigan Bay and to help run our visitor centre, educational and
awareness-raising activities.

About CBMWC

The Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre is based in New Quay, west Wales, UK
and is the marine wing of the Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales. Since
1996 we have been dedicated to raising awareness of the local marine
environment through education and research. Using boat-based and land-based
surveys, photo-ID and acoustic studies we monitor bottlenose dolphin,
harbour porpoise and Atlantic grey seal populations in the Cardigan Bay
Special Area of Conservation (SAC) and wider Irish Sea. We also run a busy
visitor centre as well as an education and activity room which offers marine
educational activities for families with young children.

Position description

Seasonal volunteer positions are available for specific periods from 31st
March through to 3rd November 2014 to help with our ongoing research,
education and awareness-raising programmes concerning the marine wildlife of
Cardigan Bay.

As CBMWC is run almost entirely by volunteers, this is a fantastic
opportunity for you to make a positive contribution to marine wildlife
conservation and meet new people who share your interests. You will learn
about the species and habitats in Cardigan Bay, gain experience in field
work, research methods, data processing, public awareness and education
programmes. The data you collect will contribute to long running research
studies on bottlenose dolphin site usage, abundance, photo-identification
and acoustic studies.

Responsibilities/duties will include (but are not limited to):

·          Visitor centre operation, including dealing with enquiries and
taking boat bookings

·          Land-based surveys in conjunction with Ceredigion County Council

·          Boat-based surveys*

·          Educational and awareness-raising activities with children and
the general public

·          Data entry and checking

·          Updating daily sightings information

·          Beach cleans

* Please note that boat surveys are weather dependent and volunteers take
turns to join trips to act as onboard researcher. During times of bad
weather, you will spend more time carrying out shore-based activities.

You may be expected to work up to 8 hours a day, six days a week. Field work
can involve long periods outdoors, in often inclement weather. All
volunteers are expected to contribute to all CBMWC activities, tasks and
field work and to attend all training sessions provided. As such, if you are
only looking to gain field experience, this is not the opportunity for you.

Person specification:

Essential skills

·          Positive, reliable, conscientious and mature attitude

·          Ability to work and live closely with others as part of a small
team

·          Strong work ethic with an ability to work unsupervised

·          Adaptable and patient (particularly as boat work is weather
dependent)

·          Confident in dealing with the public both face to face and over
the telephone

·          Fluency in English

·          Willing to ask for help if unsure and admit mistakes

Desirable skills

·          Interest and/or experience of working with children in
environmental education

·          Research and surveying experience

·          IT skills, including Microsoft Office and GIS

Please note that enthusiasm for our work and the marine environment is as
valued as experience, since full training is provided.

Student projects

We welcome undergraduate and postgraduate students who require field work
support – including boat time – and office space to conduct their research
projects. Please note that we do not have a list of specific project ideas
but if you have a project idea in mind, please contact us to discuss whether
your ideas are feasible.

Time commitment

Volunteers positions are available from 31st March until 3rd November 2014
for five separate blocks ranging from 4 to 9 weeks. You must be able to
commit to an entire block and preference will be given to volunteers who are
able to commit to more than one block. Applications are encouraged from
volunteers who would like to join the team for the majority of or the entire
season and would like gain additional experience in photo-ID analysis,
environmental education and volunteer training and coordination. Volunteers
living locally who are available on a part-time basis are welcome year round
and are greatly appreciated.

2014 volunteer dates

·          Block A 31st March-27th April (4 weeks)

·          Block B 28th April-1st June (5 weeks)

·          Block C 2nd June-6th July (5 weeks)

·          Block D 7th July-7th September (9 weeks)

·          Block E 8th September-3rd November (8 weeks)

Volunteer fee

An administration fee of £45 will be required from all successful
applicants.

Accommodation and expense arrangements

Shared accommodation in a comfortable and fully equipped house will be
arranged for successful volunteers (where required) at a cost of £55 per
week, including fuel bills. Volunteers are responsible for their own food,
travel and accommodation costs.

Due to payment arrangements with the house owners, accommodation costs will
be required in advance to cover the cost of each block so before applying
please ensure that you can cover this and all other expenses.

How to apply

Download a seasonal volunteer application form from our website
www.cbmwc.org/volunteer/ and email it along with a CV and covering letter
(no more than one side of A4) outlining how you meet the personal
specification and your motivations for applying to volunteer at cbmwc.org with
‘Volunteer application 2014’ in your subject line. Please make sure you fill
in your availability.

The closing date for applications is 5pm on Friday 31st January 2014

For further information

Visit www.cbmwc.org/volunteer

If you have any questions please email volunteer at cbmwc.org with an
appropriate subject line or call Laura on +44 (0)1545 560224.

Laura Mears

Project Officer

Support our research - adopt a Cardigan Bay dolphin with the Cardigan Bay
Marine Wildlife Centre

Raise money for CBMWC with each internet search you do - it doesn't cost you
a penny  <http://sites.affilyon.co.uk/CBMWC>
http://sites.affilyon.co.uk/CBMWC

Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre

Patent Slip Building

Glanmor Terrace

New Quay

Ceredigion

SA45 9PS

Wales, UK

Ffon/Phone: 01545 560 224

E-bost/Email:  <mailto:info at cbmwc.org> info at cbmwc.org

Website:  <http://www.cbmwc.org> www.cbmwc.org

For all the latest news and sightings information, please visit our website,
follow us on Twitter and become a fan of our Facebook page

 <http://www.cbmwc.org> www.cbmwc.org

 <http://twitter.com/CBMWC> http://twitter.com/CBMWC

 <http://facebook.com/CBMWC> http://facebook.com/CBMWC

Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre is supported by the Cardigan Bay Marine
Wildlife Group, a marine interest group of the Wildlife Trust of South and
West Wales.

Helping to conserve Cardigan Bay's marine wildlife through education and
research

Helpu I warchod bywyd gwyllt morol Bae Ceredigion drwy addysg ac ymchwil

The contents of this email are confidential and are soley for the use of the
intended recipient. If you receive this email in error please delete it and
notify us either by email or telephone. It is prohibited to copy, forward or
otherwise disclose the contents of this email.