[MARMAM] New paper on acoustic divergence between bottlenose dolphin whistles

Elena Papale elena.papale at unito.it
Mon Dec 2 11:37:21 PST 2013

Dear Colleagues,
On behalf of my co-authors, I would like to announce the publication of
a new paper:
"Acoustic divergence between bottlenose dolphin whistles from the
Central–Eastern North Atlantic and Mediterranean Sea"

E. Papale,  M. Azzolin, I. Cascão, A. Gannier, M. O. Lammers, V. M.
Martin, J. Oswald, M. Perez-Gil, R. Prieto, M. A. Silva, C. Giacoma.

acta ethologica
DOI 10.1007/s10211-013-0172-2

Abstract
To improve our understanding of the complex genetic and ecological
structure of bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus ) populations, we
examined the acoustic features of communication signals from two
geographically contiguous areas: the Central–Eastern North Atlantic and
the Mediterranean Sea. Variations in the whistles were evaluated for
four locations. Ten signal parameters were measured and used to
statistically differentiate between the areas. Over 79% of sightings
were correctly classified by discriminant function analysis, confirming
an acoustic differentiation between the two basins. The results of
cluster analysis using the mean values of the parameters for each
sighting showed that the three easternmost sightings from the
Mediterranean and one sighting from the Canary archipelago formed a
separate cluster from the rest of the Atlantic. The two sightings from
the Alboran Sea in the west Mediterranean were grouped with the Atlantic
recordings. There was more variability in whistles from the Atlantic
Ocean consistent with data from genetic and photo-identification studies
that document resident and non-resident animals in the area. The results
suggest that the Alboran area may be inhabited by animals differentiated
from the rest of the Mediterranean basin as a result of habitat
features.

The full article can be found online at:
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10211-013-0172-2

Please contact me if you do not have access to the article
(elena.papale at unito.it)

Best,
Elena

--
Elena Papale, PhD
Department of Life Science and Systems Biology