[MARMAM] Fin and humpback whales in the Pelagos Sanctuary

jerome couvat jerome.couvat at souffleursdecume.com
Mon Aug 26 23:37:43 PDT 2013

Dear MARMAMers,

Apologies for this late message but there was some trouble in publishing it.

We would like to inform you of quite an unusual sighting in the Pelagos
Sanctuary this week. On July 23, around 11am, one of the whale-watching
operators we work with made a sighting of a 7m humpback whale following
a 15m fin whale. The humpback was swimming about 30m behind the fin
whale, following it and diving in synchrony. Pictures of the humpback
were taken and a video was also made, leaving no doubt on the
identification of both species. The two animals were sighted between
Nice and Calvi (Corsica) about 30NM off Nice. They were heading west at
a speed of 1-2 knots. The humppback has not been seen since then.
Sightings of humpback whales have been increasing in the Mediterranean
Sea in the last years but this is, to our knowledge, the first time such
an observation is made in the Med.

Jérôme Couvat
Souffleurs d'Ecume
www.souffleursdecume.com