[MARMAM] Publication on Ship-based Automatic Detection of Whales for protection from Underwater Noise Impacts

Daniel P. Zitterbart daniel.zitterbart at awi.de
Wed Aug 14 05:21:41 PDT 2013

Dear MARMAM subscribers,

I’d like to draw your attention to our recent publication which might be
of interest for your work.

Zitterbart DP, Kindermann L, Burkhardt E, Boebel O (2013) Automatic
Round-the-Clock Detection of Whales for Mitigation from Underwater Noise
Impacts. PLoS ONE 8(8): e71217. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0071217

In this manuscript we describe the development and evaluation of a
thermal imaging based automated whale detection system. We discuss
detection performance, double blind comparison with MMO's, and timeous
availability of whales. Details on the detection algorithm are described
in the manuscript.

The Article is available here:

http://dx.plos.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0071217

For questions and comments please contact:
Daniel.Zitterbart at awi.de
or
Olaf.Boebel at awi.de

Best Regards
Daniel

Abstract:
Loud hydroacoustic sources, such as naval mid-frequency sonars or
airguns for marine geophysical prospecting, have been increasingly
criticized for their possible negative effects on marine mammals and
were implicated in several whale stranding events. Competent authorities
now regularly request the implementation of mitigation measures,
including the shut-down of acoustic sources when marine mammals are
sighted within a predefined exclusion zone. Commonly, ship-based marine
mammal observers (MMOs) are employed to visually monitor this zone. This
approach is personnel-intensive and not applicable during night time,
even though most hydroacoustic activities run day and night. This study
describes and evaluates an automatic, ship-based, thermographic whale
detection system that continuously scans the ship’s environs for whale
blows. Its performance is independent of daylight and exhibits an almost
uniform, omnidirectional detection probability within a radius of 5 km.
It outperforms alerted observers in terms of number of detected blows
and ship-whale encounters. Our results demonstrate that thermal imaging
can be used for reliable and continuous marine mammal protection.

Daniel P. Zitterbart
Alfred Wegener Institut		phone: +4947148312212
Am Alten Hafen 26
27568 Bremerhaven

mail: daniel.zitterbart at awi.de
web:  http://www.awi.de/People/show?dzitterb