[MARMAM] Volunteers needed for large whale project in Gibraltar (Spain)

Pauline Gauffier pauline at circe.info
Tue Apr 16 03:47:59 PDT 2013

Dear
all,

The
research group CIRCE (http://www.circe.info)
is seeking applications from volunteers to help with fieldwork on fin whale
research in the Strait of Gibraltar from 3 June to 15 July 2013 (2x3=6
weeks)

Fin
whale project:

The
fin whales observed in the Strait of Gibraltar are in migration between the
Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea and are still recovering from years of
hunting. Due to the high and increasing maritime traffic in the Strait, at
least 3 ship strikes have been observed with fin whales since 1999 and probably
more remain unknown. Therefore, we need to assess for this population the risk
of collision with merchant ships or ferries. We will use theodolite tracking
from a land station to find the main routes for the fin whales as well as any
behavioural changes in relation to boat movements.

This
project has been running for 4 years both in summertime and wintertime from the
Spanish coast of the Strait.

Summer 2013 survey:

Due
to the economic situation in Spain, in summer 2013 we will run the last survey until further notice.

Our
main goal for this last survey is to deploy
satellite tags on the migrating whales to identify their summer feeding grounds. This is why we need a motivated team of volunteers to detect and focal-follow the migrating whales from the land station to make the tagging possible.

Conditions:

Volunteers
should be available for one entire period of 3 weeks (3-24th
June or/and 24th June-15th July). You will be responsible for
your transport to and from the main centre, but once here, we will provide
accommodation near the research centre and transport to the land station. You
will be responsible for your food expenses, but we will arrange communal
shopping/cooking so that these expenses will be low (usually no more than
20€/week).

The
first day you will receive full training and then start operating as a team.

Volunteers
should be prepared to long working days (9-21h, in 2 shifts) under the sun and
the wind at the LAND station and to help with data entry when bad weather.

For
more information, a video and the blog of the project, see http://www.circe.biz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=93&Itemid=103)

Successful applicants will:

-
have a mature attitude towards marine mammal research

-
be autonomous and quickly operational

-
be able to live and work constructively with others in a team

-
speak fluently Spanish and/or English

Preference will be given to those who:

-
have previous experience in theodolite handling, including whale
tracking

-
have previous relevant marine mammal field experience

-
can commit for the whole 6-week period

Applicants should send an email introducing themselves. The email should
include an outline of why you would like to work on this project, your
qualifications and previous experiences relevant to this project.
Please also attach a brief CV, detailing your previous experiences, and
download the MANDATORY registration form from http://www.circe.biz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=93&Itemid=103
 (also available in Spanish and French).

Please remember
that this will be the last survey until
further notice.

Applications
will be accepted until 28 April 2013 and then your participation
will be confirmed during the week (please make sure to check your email at that
time to make the whole selecting process efficient). The email should have the
object “Land survey 2013”. Incomplete
applications will not be considered (cover letter + CV + application form).

For
more information, do not hesitate to contact me.

All
the best

Pauline

Pauline GAUFFIER