[MARMAM] Information request for any Marine Mammal Stranding organization

Lucia Martina Martin Lopez lmml2 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Fri Apr 5 06:08:06 PDT 2013

Dear colleagues,

As part of my PhD research, I need to develop allometric equations for
body length of some beaked whale species. I would be very grateful to
get in contact with any *Marine Mammal Stranding organizations* who have
collected, or may collect, such data and are willing to share it. Body
length and weight are two parameters that influence the behavioural
ecology of whales, by affecting their oxygen stores, metabolic rates,
locomotor costs and their interaction with prey amongst others.
Therefore their estimation in the field is crucial for understanding
their behaviour. My aim is to*jointly *create *allometric equations* for
several species of beaked whales in order to*estimate body length and
weight *of free ranging animals in the field using photogrammetry.
Species of primary interest are /Mesoplodon densirostris/, /Ziphius
cavirostris, Hyperoodon ampullatus/ and/Berardius bairdii/ although I
would be happy to expand to other species if sufficient data are available.

Please contact me by email at lmml2 at st-andrews.ac.uk

Thank you in advance for any collaborations.

Kind regards

Lucia Martin

--
Lucía Martina Martín López,